NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LOLSVX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My name is David, and I drive a pearly white 1992 Subaru SVX.

I love the car to death, and I've had it a little over 4 years now. It's survived 50,000+ miles of me driving it, including a trip I took two months ago from Pittsburgh, PA all the way to Irvine, CA (2600 miles) without a single issue. The wife now needs a car to get to work, and I would love to get her a Volvo S70 or V70, but she loves the bugs, and I can't blame her. They're perfect cars for girls.

Anyway, I have yet to buy one, but I am looking on all my local classifieds to try and find one. I am very mechanical, but I'm no mechanic. But, I love doing a lot of my own work on vehicles, as long as it's not a job that can screw up everything if I tighten one bolt an extra foot pound!

I have tons of questions. Any and everyone should chime in!

PS, my wife can NOT drive a stick. She has enough time forcing her simple little brain to drive an automatic. :p;)

- What is the best year?
- I am on a tight college budget and would like to spend less than $3,000.
- What warning signs should I look out for?
- What maintenance should I do as soon as I get it?
- What questions should I ask the seller?
- What is the best engine? The 2.0 or 1.8t?

As far as I understand the timing belt and water pump should be replaced around 100k (as with most cars- especially Subarus).

I've heard bad things about the automatic trannys. Is there anything I can do to prolong the failure? Is it due to cooling issues? Gearing issues? I assume a turbo motor would be harder on it as well.

I've hear horror stories of electrical problems including fires. What can be done about this? Is this a legitimate concern? Should I keep my eye open for anything specific?

I think that's it. Let me know if I missed anything! Obviously I'll check the car fax and have my mechanic take a thorough look at everything, but I absolutely love car forums and the infinite knowledge they give out.

Thanks again everyone! :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome! You've come to the right place :) i have an '05 2.0 auto and an '06 tdi manual. The '05 had the valve body replaced in the transmission under the vw extended warranty. I would go with the 6 speed auto, it is more fuel efficient and peppy compared to the older 3 speed auto (i had a '98 2.0).

Learning to drive stick is fun, if your wife wants to try. My dad taught me last year when i bought my tdi.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
My suggestion is a MANUAL TRANSMISSION (and YES she CAN LEARN to drive one if she has one of HER FRIENDS teach her). It just takes practice.

VW beetles are VERY forgiving with newbies so your wife will LOVE the experience.

****fyi: MANY men DO drive AND LOVE their new beetles....(just trying to keep you from acquiring 'foot in mouth disease' here on the ORG.

Wecome to the ORG!!
We would LOVE to hear from your wife as well.

:D
Sandi in Tennessee
(learned to drive a stick at 14yrs old)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've owned trucks,crotch rockets. But now I am a proud owner of a 03 1.8t beetle. I just like the look of them. I am not a fan of the newer generation ones,too Porsche looking for my liking. I got my beetle for 1100. 180000 miles hence why it's so cheap,but I've seen ones that go up to 300000 on here. Since I drive a truck for work,and gone for awhile she won't have that many miles on her.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

Both of my children learned how to drive a stick in my NB. Easy enough with patience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts