VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in December my dad picked up a Snap Orange 2.slo Autotragic for a winter beater so he didn't have to drive his '15 Stingray through the terrors that Ohio puts down on the road in winter.

75k miles 3 owner
No major issues
Some sort of rotational noise just appeared. Thinking bearing or CV. But there is no play in the bearing and the CVs aren't torn. I'm investigating the tires tomorrow.
Dogbone mount possibly needs replaced. Occasionally there is a really hard lunge even though the shift is smooth.

Plans:
Springs/Coils
Exhaust
Intake(maybe, don't like cone intakes, but the stock one seems inefficient)

The day we picked it up, detail all the things

Picked these up for free last night. Dual drilled 5x100 and 5x112. Don't know the make, but they fit and look great. Going to refinish them and buy tires.

My daily

His vette

We have some other vintage VWs I'm sure you'll see sneak into the background over time.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Assuming you have a 01M 4 speed auto; hard shifts, maybe worn dogbone or worn valve body and sticking solenoids. You can read up on the 01M issues here: Kansas City TDI

I really like those wheels!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming you have a 01M 4 speed auto; hard shifts, maybe worn dogbone or worn valve body and sticking solenoids. You can read up on the 01M issues here: Kansas City TDI

I really like those wheels!
I had an 02 Jetta 2.slo with the same trans that had a valve body issue. This doesn't feel like a valve body. I'll throw it up on ramps or jacks tomorrow and look. I can snag the trans code while I'm under there. I can replicate a vibration at idle and there is an occasional squeak associated with the vibration. This is only the second automatic we've messed with so it's all Greek to me lol.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A totally worn out dog bone with allot of play; can make quite a bit of noise, so many times it is that. If you want to keep the repair costs low; you can rebuild the dogbone by replacing the worn out rubber bushings. BFI sells them cheap and you can just swap out the worn part and have a "like new" dogbone for $10! :)

MK4 Replacement Dogbone Inserts
Item# EMK4OEDBR

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4oedore.html

Be sure; to check the left and right motor mounts as well; they are usually toast and have play in them as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Welcome that's a nice looking bug!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Karmannut said:
Curious to know which beetle you have seeing that it's a '64. We've got a couple aircooled's in the stable ourselves ('56 Low Light and my dad's '57/'58 Alken D2). As well as my '81 Rabbit haha.

beatbox said:
The wheels are 18x8 ET38 still unsure of the brand. Unfortunately one wheel cracked while straightening it, but I believe we can weld it and re-balance it and it will be good as new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts