VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first go around in a VW but i'm sure 95% is the same.

2001 gls 2.0 (gf just bought so history is unknown)
aftermarket deck (dual, pos)

As of now the 2 rear seat speakers are operational. Up front only the pass pillar one appears to be working so i'm going to dig in and find out but i'd like to go with the most knowledge up front.

1. How do i tell if this is monsoon or not? Sounds unlikely imo but just want to check.

2. Are the front channels internally split between the doors and pillars? Like is there a crossover sending the signal to the tweet and woofer?

I only have limited time to work on it so i want to be as best prepared to get it done.

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/529-monsoon-factory-sound-system-2.html

Next to last post I show where the Monsoon Amp is located.

I ended up ditching it and wiring in a couple amps, but that was a huge PITA and looking at a lot of schematics to figure out what wire went where.

I believe if you have a-pillar speakers you don't have dash speakers...can you check that? If you have grills in your dash, then it could be Monsoon.
The doors and pillar or dash should be hooked up separately IIRC.

I can't remember if I ever posted the wiring diagrams on the org or not...seems someone was working on a Monsoon or VW stereo thread and was interested in collecting lots of information. I'll see if I can find that thread for you.

Antoine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your passive crossover is built into the tweeter itself. How familiar are you with car audio? Do you own an oscilloscope? I would test the frequency range at the door woofer to determine if it is full range or acting as a subwoofer. This is if you don't plan to install a four channel amplifier to run your speakers and will be relying on deck power alone. In my experience monsoon made the door woofer act as a subwoofer threw the crossover points on the factory amp.

Keep in mind you will need to build speaker rings for the front doors or use very shallow speakers as the factory speaker is in fact riveted to the door. Also modification may be required if you plan to go with a front component set the factory tweeters are very shallow in the a pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts