NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i just bought a 99 2.0l nb, and i got some questions...
ok, i've heard a lot about "cat backs," and i curious as to what part of the orignal exhaust that replaces? and would it also be a good idea to get a high flow catalic convertor to go along with it? i have also heard a lot about "chipping" also...what exactly does that do? keep in mind im not all that good with cars just yet:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I know a bit about chipping.

Chipping gives you +9HP and +20ft/lbs.

You have to run 91 octane fuel with the chip, but this chip actually makes your car save on gas, so you actually will save a few bucks a month at the pumps.

A very good upgrade over all, but one I'm not going to do until the spring.

SMG

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
"catbacks" replace everything from the cat back. yeah, i know - easier than it seems. basically its everything starting at the pipes connected to the backside of the cat all the way back to the muffler and fancy tailpipes. basically, you'd still be using the stock cat, so a high-flow cat wouldnt be a bad idea. just make sure you're smog legal in the end (if your state cares).

What a "chip" is is a new set of guts, basically, for your onboard computer. it determines how everything inside your engine works. things like at what point during the cycle our spark plugs fire, or how much fuel your injectors spray in - technical things like that. chips basically are different programs telling your engine how to squeeze the maximum power out of itself.

being an older NB owner as well, i would highly recommend you have all the service/maintenance issues outta the way first (making sure all the previous owners took care of the important stuff), so you can basically start from scratch with the performance mods. the last thing you need is your water pump goin on you after you just put 300 dollars worth of ship in your engine. these cars are tempramental on maintenance issues. they'll love ya back, but only if you make sure theyre raised right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts