NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, I have been reading on your site because I have been thinking about buying my wife her dream car which is a Bug...well...I found one and believe I got a great deal so I have gotten approved for a loan and will be the actual owner of a 2004 VW Bug Turbo Vert affective Thursday. I had never driven one until I test drove this one and I am absolutely impressed. Looking forward to learining as much as I can and chatting as much as I can.....I will post some pics as soon as I get the car and get some pics available. Until then, Looking forward to meeting as many people on here as we can. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle Convertible! :party:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome!!! I'm new too. Just got my 2006 NB Vert and I'm in love! This is a great place full of information and helpful people.

Can't wait to see pics!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vette.......thanks for the Texas welcome...I'm in fort worth..you ?
Lovebug.....our bugs are identical....now I don't have to post pics hahaha
Everyone else...thanks for the warm welcome..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Vette.......thanks for the Texas welcome...I'm in fort worth..you ?
Lovebug.....our bugs are identical....now I don't have to post pics hahaha
Everyone else...thanks for the warm welcome..
The Big H... you know... downhere where it's a lot cooler! :D

As I said, I've got an NBC also (Momma drives it most of the time), so I'm pretty up on these cars - care, maintenance, and problems. I don't see every post, so if there is something you have a question on, hit me up with a p/m and I'll see if I can help, or at least point you in the right direction.

I always suggest to a new owner that the first thing they do is get it to a Dealer, get an oil change, get the Ownership updated, they will check for any open recalls and gladly perform the work, and you need to establish a relationship. The oil change is a cheap friendly way of doing this (about $85). Get the Service Writers name and always go back to him/her when you have to visit the Dealer service..

If it's a local car, try to find out who the servicing Dealer (or selling Dealer, usually the same, and in the OM) is and see what service history you can find out. The PO may also be willing to help you out with this if it was a private sale. Service history is SO important on these cars.

If you want to spend about a hundred bucks, while it's getting an oil change, ask them to do the same inspection they would do for a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned), it's much more extensive than a 20 pt type inspection and will give you a certain comfort level. May also catch something that needs to be addressed that OBD codes may not indicate.

The Dealer will use 5w40 oil, probably Castrol Edge (synthetic), if you do have it done elsewhere, I prefer Mobil 1 0w40, which is a true Class 1 synthetic, a step above the Castrol. Don't question the 0w or the 5w, just use one or the other. Every 5k miles on the Turbo. I understand there is also a new, higher capacity filter that I've heard about but haven't looked into. Just coming up on the need for my first oil change since the initial one a year ago.

If you didn't get a boot or windstop with the car, and decide you want one, I have several of each, the boot in several colors, just p/m me when your ready.

Btw, if your going to stay around here and/or visit often go to the User CP to the left in the purple bar above the thread, and complete your vehicle information and location so we all know where you are and about your ride! You can also do a multitude of things in your signature.

Don't get too attached to the Bug though, remember, it's your wife's car! (lol)

Again, welcome!

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vette....thanks for all the info.....it was serviced and purchased at audobahn of fort worth.....when I called them about doing the pre inspection....they said NO :confused: ....THE only way they would look T the car is if the OWNER took it in with an actual problem.....but they would NOT do ANY kind of check up on it for me......its an 04 with 38500 originl miles.....I'm getting a 4 yr 48000 mile bumper to bumper on it too so that gives me enough peace of mind I suppose.

It does have a black boot so I'm set there....thanks so much for the offer.....

I know I can't get too attached to it....cause I'm sure wifey will be drivng it all the time....I JUST got me a brand new RAM hemi and I'm thinking anytime we go out together we will be in the NBC and ill be.in the passenger seat (hard to get used too)

The folks who had the car prior had it for their daughter to drive to and from school (five mile round trip) they bought it from the original owner who.was older and, had grandkids, so when she started taking Care of grandkids.....beetle became too small.

I figured I was going to feel kinda girly driving the dang thing but.its a blast....I can't wait for wife too see it (she is out of town and this is a surprise:D)

Vette...if I think of anything ill letcha know...thx....
Spyder...Mansfield huh? Were neighbors.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Smart with the bumper to bumper. The only real problematic issues I know of on the '04 Vert are the "flaps" that open and close on the top of the rear quarters for the top to drop (they were redesigned out of the '05), and the rear window coming bonding to the top coming loose. Both expensive repairs. Also an issue with the top rattling, but VW came out with a SB with a $4 fix (robber pads to help keep the pins aligned in the windshield cross member. I hear about top wear issues on later models but not with the earlier models. My clock is at 50k and I am showing no wear issues and have had zero problems with the car in the 10k miles I've owned it.

Clean and dress the top with RaggTopp Cleaner & RaggTopp Protectant, recommended by the top material manufacturer and available at www.autogeek.net . Good "How to" videos on their site also.

And I agree, nothing "girly" about driving these. They're a hoot!

M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts