NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered these wheels:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-alzor-parts/18-style-349-wheels-set-of-four/349a-5~kt/

They are the correct bolt pattern and center bore, but they are 8" wide. Offset is 30mm.

My current setup is stock 16" wheels and stock 205/55/16 tires on Raceland coilover suspension. In the rear there is plenty of room, but in the front the stock tires are very close to the front coils. Probably closer than they really should be. If I bolt the wheels on as they are, they are sure to rub the springs.

If my math is correct, I'll need a 10mm spacer to lower the offset to 20mm to keep the back-side of the tire in the same place as with stock wheels. The wheel will still be 4.1mm closer to the strut, but the tires should be in about the same spot.

See this for where I got my numbers:

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Does anyone have any experience or input that could help me out? I don't want to order the wrong spacers. Thanks!

Additionally, should I order the same spacers for the rears, or thicker, if I want the wheels to sit square? I feel like I have heard the rear wheels sit in closer on the bug, is that true?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I ran 18" 2004 R32 wheels on mine for a while but their offset was more. I did need to add a 5mm spacer up front to get the tires to clear my front coilovers. I have to say since the 5mm spacers did not have a lip for the wheel bore to rest on, it was a pain in the a** to install them every spring. I had to jack the wheel up to align with the stud locations and tighten carefully to make sure the wheels were centered properly. If you are going to add a spacer make sure it has a lip. Also, check to see if you require hubcentric rings with the new wheels. You'll need them to minimize vibrations.

I know when I installed the spacers it was still very tight but never rubbed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankfully the wheels I ordered are the proper center bore. I'll order spacers that are the proper center bore also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any problems so far? I run a 18x8 et25 and they clear well but the wheel poke was a little to much for me to lower. bet they look nice on your car ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts