VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup folks. I'm new to the forum, and really glad I found this place.

I'm a "new" VW owner to a 1999 2.0. No pictures yet because I've not taken possession of the car, but will be soon. Thought I might as well join here and do some research and reading. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, do my own oil changes and general maintenance and such.

I'll likely be using the little car as a beater of sorts to save gas and keep miles off my nicer vehicles. Definitely going to clean it up good and personalize it a little bit though. Maybe a nice spoiler and some plastidipped wheels just because the factory wheels are rough looking and peeling some.

I've read about this "K line" in the stereo harness and will be testing this one out. I have my own OBD scanner and I don't want to fry it, so if it's not fixed I'll definitely snip it. Can anyone point me to some other worthwhile reads about things I need to address when I get the car? I don't care about going fast, but I do care about it being reliable and user friendly.

Glad to be here. Look forward to talking with you guys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
Welcome - as a new member myself I have to say that this is a great site. I am just starting to get to know some of the regulars and so far everyone has been very helpful and very supportive without any negative comments. As another member said to me "welcome home" which said a lot to me. Hang out and get to know some of us, you will not be sorry you did.

You can find about anything you need to know in the forum. Someone has already run into the problem and alerted everyone to it with possible solutions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. :)

The timing belt was replaced by the VW dealer here locally a few months ago. The owner said they "replaced something else" but that's all I know. It may have been the water pump, as it seems it's timing belt driven.

I'll find out for sure, I'm going to call the VW garage and see what service records they can pull on the car so I'll know for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome!

I've been here a while, but never posted. I have a fitment question and hope someone out there can help. Question: Will a 2003 17" OEM GTI Monte Carlo wheel fit a 2003 2.0 Beetle? Seems like a simple "yes" as bolt pattern, offset and bore are all the same, but some say it will fit and some say it won't.

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
I've been here a while, but never posted. I have a fitment question and hope someone out there can help. Question: Will a 2003 17" OEM GTI Monte Carlo wheel fit a 2003 2.0 Beetle? Seems like a simple "yes" as bolt pattern, offset and bore are all the same, but some say it will fit and some say it won't.
you might have better luck over in the wheels and tires section instead of highjacking someones new member thread.

Wheels and Tires - NewBeetle.org Forums

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
From one beetleboy to another...welcome. Glad to have you join the never ending party Josh.

Congrats on landing your beetle. Something tells me you're gonna fall for that lil beater...new beetles are cool like that :D

Looking forward to follow your beetle resto. They're not bad to tinker with.

I didn't see any info in your profile corner (upper right of each post). What city do you park your beetle- one of us might live near you.

Don't be a stranger...post often. See ya down the road buddy.

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
yes please, what city. the girl who bought my 99 sold it a few months ago. I'm always curious as to find the person who bought it.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts