NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a 2004 Beetle Cabrio a week ago Saturday. She's a five speed with a lot of get up and go and seems to be running like a dream.She drives down the highway as straight as an arrow, and the only bad sounds I have heard is popping and creaking of the top when she is could. I am in love already and feeling very lucky, and knocking on wood even as I type.

She has not told me her name yet, but I have feeling it might be MoneyPit! ;-)

Anyway, here is a list of what she needed so far and then I will list my related questions.

1: New antennae
2: New door lock actuator-driver's side
3: New mirror motor-driver's side (ordered)
4: Three or four paint chips
5: 80,000 mile servicing
6: New left side fog light (fixed)
7: New remote key and new valet key (done)

Those seem to be major issues for right now. Here are my questions. Were does a person find actually OE parts numbers and where should I put the external antennae, so the stereo will actually pick up some stations?

Thanks
Marietta in MO

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Do you know if the timing belt and water pump have ever been changed? If not, I'd make them my top priority.

Plenty of info on these groups about why to replace the timing belt before it breaks (i.e. severe engine damage usually results when the timing belt breaks). Also plenty of D.I.Y. info on this as well. It took my dad and I an entire day to do this job to my daughter's N.B.C.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Timing Belt/Water Pump

We do not know for sure yet, but saw that it was an 80,000 mile service need. We are going to have our regular mechanic look at what he can, and then find who we might have service our new baby. DH can do a lot,but we know longer have the space or tools to do a lot.

I spent some time with my closet Beetle dealer last Friday and I am not impressed! The next one is about 90 minutes away, so we are thinking this through, because I will not go back to the one that is an hour away.

I suspect that yes we do need to change the belt, rollers etc., however we have been confused as to whether that is an actual 80,000 or 105,000 recommendation, so clearing that up will help. It would seem according to this forum, it is an 80000 mile expectation. Would that be correct?

She has 81,200 and has been well taken care of, but the last two years she was owned by a young lady, so the service record goes to hell after that and we suspect the timing belt, etc. has not been done.

I did notice the wheels look a little rough from curb checks, but right now I am looking at those things I want to do first.

Oh and I saw that some people have added the little spoiler to their convertible. I would like to add one. Can anyone point me to suggestions or where to pick up a spoiler that would look nice on the Cabrio?

I am also open to other suggestions and I have only just begun to read lots of the messages and great information that is out here already.

So many thanks to all the Beetle lovers out there.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would not trust a nearly 10 year old rubber timing belt. If you don't know if it's ever been replaced, I would give this top priority.

When these timing belts break, the pistons literally crash into the valves causing all sorts of internal engine damage. Replacing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and etc. isn't going to be cheap, but it is certainly a lot cheaper than fixing a broken engine caused by a broken timing belt. I hope this expense doesn't come as too much of a surprise to you, but this is a very common maintenance item on VW engines.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would not trust a nearly 10 year old rubber timing belt. If you don't know if it's ever been replaced, I would give this top priority.

When these timing belts break, the pistons literally crash into the valves causing all sorts of internal engine damage. Replacing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and etc. isn't going to be cheap, but it is certainly a lot cheaper than fixing a broken engine caused by a broken timing belt. I hope this expense doesn't come as too much of a surprise to you, but this is a very common maintenance item on VW engines.
Just had that done on my Mom's 2004. $727 for timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt and oil change. Cheap insurance policy, I say.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Get the timing belt, water pump, thermostat and tensioners replaced SOON. Do not wait to the 105k miles. Make sure you get the thermostat replaced as well when the water pump is replaced.

Here is the way I look at it, you will have to replace the timing belt and associated parts at some point. Do it on your schedule and hopefully it will cost less than $1k. Do it on the cars schedule and it will likely cost you $3-$4k.

Also suggest you purchase this scan tool as it will save you a bunch of money in the future. For $47, this is a very cheap investment - Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

The only down side is it does not read real time data, but this also does a lot more for airbags and ABS.

Forget the dealer now that you have your keys, buy parts online at somewhere like "VW Parts" - "Volkswagen Parts" - Parts and Accessories Catalog. or blauparts.com.

1st VW parts is a Aburn VW and has good OEM part pricing. Blauparts has timing belts kits and many other things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, lots done...

Well, FlyBug has a new timing belt and all associated parts, a new water pump, thermostat, and temperature sensor, a new serpentine belt, along with a new fan switch and module, a new 7 inch screen stereo with back-up camera and navigation screen, USB and SD Card, a new bud vase full of red roses, new clips installed to hold the top on around the rear window, a new scanning tool all her own, and I have a beautiful VW Beetle Convertible raring to go, and no money left to feed her gas! :)

She purrs when she runs.

I posted a picture of her new tags today on one of my threads. I am just not sure where that was, but you can search if you are interested.

Take care all, I just thought I should pop in and give you an update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts