NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all! My name's Jeff and I recently got a 2000 New Beetle GL 1.8T with 92K on it. I love this car! Speedy, handles great, and a real blast to drive. The previous owner took care of it and had the records to prove it. I was a Honda guy for many years, but after experiencing Farhvernugen, I say VW nailed it.

Only beef is I want a coolant temp gauge instead of a light. Can ya help?

TIA

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, one last thing. Y'all know a good way to interface an iPod to the stock stereo on this car? I got one of those broadcast interfaces and it distorts. This car has a CD changer on it.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
If it has a stock stereo, in 2000, the iPod was not available. No stock interface. Your best bet is to replace the stereo, with a newer, modern one, that you can just plug your ipod into.

Oh, and Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi y'all! My name's Jeff and I recently got a 2000 New Beetle GL 1.8T with 92K on it. I love this car! Speedy, handles great, and a real blast to drive. The previous owner took care of it and had the records to prove it. I was a Honda guy for many years, but after experiencing Farhvernugen, I say VW nailed it.

TIA
Hi Jeff,

Missed welcoming you to the Org, so Welcome!
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Most around here who do gauges do them with a Bernt 3 gauge dash pod. Just thread search Bernt.

Personally I like digital gauges, and when I get around to doing this in mine, that's the route I'm going. Google digital gauges, there is a manufacturer with VW color co-ordinated digital gauges at comparable prices to needle gauges. Many functions to chose from, in addition to coolant temp.

To VW's credit, I will say, the warning and indicator light system is quite sophisticated and goes way beyond the "idiot" lights in many of today's vehicles.

MORAV

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

TIA
YUP, Get this and all your prayers will be answered :D
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

I have the Scangauge II now for many years and have used it on my Audi's and now on my 2000 Beetle 1.8 GLX. This will give you 4 different readouts at once. I have mine set for Coolant Temp, Air Intake Temp, current Speed (Just to compare to my Speedometer plus it's digital ;) ) and I forgot what else.
The newest edition software can also display Boost and I use it as a Boost Gauge at times just to keep an eye on it.
It can also read error codes and clear them. A very handy tool to have. It will never keep you guessing what the actual Coolant Temp or Intake Temp is. I think Autozone now sells it and it runs about $159.00 but in my opinion it is well worth it and if they come out with a new software version for it you can always have it updated for the first year for free and after that it costs 25 bucks including return shipping. I only had to update it one time to add the Boost Gauge feature which I think was worth the 25 bucks. If you buy it now it does have the newest software version.

Good Luck with your Beetle and it's "FAHRVERGNÜGEN" :p

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Oh, one last thing. Y'all know a good way to interface an iPod to the stock stereo on this car? I got one of those broadcast interfaces and it distorts. This car has a CD changer on it.

Thanks again.
My used Beetle came with an Alpine Stereo and IPOD integretion which is really nice. Just plug it in and it charges and plays through the radio. No distortion whatsoever. The stock stereo is somewhat dated and the CD Changer in my old Audi TT never worked right. Here is a link to some options available specific to the 2000 Beetle:
iCarKits - 2000 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE - iPod / iPhone Car Kits, Aux Input, FM Transmitter, Cables and Accessories

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking forward to see some pics... We just love pics ;)
OK. She's a bit dirty, but Pipi will be getting a bath soon along with a rotate and balance.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Very nice shape! I always liked that color on the beetle. The engine/cover needs cleaning but other than that she is a beauty!

So you called your Beetle Pipi Longstockings. :D Cute. I grew up with the stories of Pipi Langstrumpf in Germany.

Have a great day!

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice shape! I always liked that color on the beetle. The engine/cover needs cleaning but other than that she is a beauty!

So you called your Beetle Pipi Longstockings. :D Cute. I grew up with the stories of Pipi Langstrumpf in Germany.

Have a great day!
Pipi Longstockings is small, plucky, and amazingly strong. So is my Beetle.:)

We will be taking a long road trip over winter break. I'm looking forward to driving her.

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
I love that picture too! It looks like Pipi is smiling for the camera:)
Great name for her, and a big welcome to you.
Barb

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love that picture too! It looks like Pipi is smiling for the camera:)
Great name for her, and a big welcome to you.
Barb
Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

She's also a bit cheeky....

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Do you have Monsoon? If you do, and you can sacrafice the CD changer, you can get a Blitz iPod interface that will play the unit but will not control the unit -- ie pressing rewind won't restart a track, it just won't do anything. It will charge the iPod/iPhone and allow digital playback, which if you have Monsoon (like I do) is worth it. $80-ish. If you have speakers in the dash you have Monsoon, btw :)

WELCOME!

Scangauge aside you can get one of the many two or three pod housings for the steering wheel or the dash and wire up your own gauges. I'm amazed how many people get upset about not having a needle... I've driven enough cars now that lose enough coolant to stop producing heat out of the airvents, but the gauges show the car temp as "normal."

Give me a overly-cautious warning lamp any day. But then again the Multi-Function Display in my Jetta only made me more frustrated than happy when it gave me real-time MPG information. I'm a weird one, so take my rants and advise with a margarita and salt shaker.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Do you have Monsoon? If you do, and you can sacrafice the CD changer, you can get a Blitz iPod interface that will play the unit but will not control the unit -- ie pressing rewind won't restart a track, it just won't do anything. It will charge the iPod/iPhone and allow digital playback, which if you have Monsoon (like I do) is worth it. $80-ish. If you have speakers in the dash you have Monsoon, btw :)
Not sure of the brand I have, but I had an adapter come with GTI. Works great. Basically makes the car think that there is a CD changer when there isn't one (or isn't one plugged in at least). The one I have has an iPod connector but also a regular aux connection as well, so I can use my plain old regular MP3 player. As Foxie said, you have to still use the actual mp3 player to change tracks and such, but I can set up playlists and such so its not a huge deal. Just have to remember to turn the thing off before I get out of the car :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Yup, same thing I've got going on. But if you're lacking Monsoon it may not be worth the investment -- unless you really want to keep the stock look.

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

WELCOME!

Scangauge aside you can get one of the many two or three pod housings for the steering wheel or the dash and wire up your own gauges. I'm amazed how many people get upset about not having a needle... I've driven enough cars now that lose enough coolant to stop producing heat out of the airvents, but the gauges show the car temp as "normal."

Give me a overly-cautious warning lamp any day. But then again the Multi-Function Display in my Jetta only made me more frustrated than happy when it gave me real-time MPG information. I'm a weird one, so take my rants and advise with a margarita and salt shaker.
I'm not sure if I have Monsoon or not. It does have speakers in the front pillars. I am also thinking that my car may be a GLX. The reason I say that is there appears to be a seperate plastic panel above the rear window instead of a solid piece of glass. Plus, this car runs really strong; stronger than what 150bhp should give you. She also has ABS and Traction Control. She also does a curious beeping sound after a high speed run. Spoiler warning?

I am learning that VW isn't too much into bragging about what a car has with badges and labels. I like that.

As far as the lack of a temp gauge, I'm starting to get used to it. Like yourself, I have driven a number of cars that overheated even when the gauge said it was normal (mostly GM). Plus yourself and MORAV seem to trust the light. I gone through the same thing when I got a motorcycle that had no kickstarter on it. I will adapt.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Plus, this car runs really strong; stronger than what 150bhp should give you.
A GLX isn't going to have any different performance than another trim level. The only NB, at least sold here in the states, with more power was the Turbo S, which had 180hp and was only offered in '02 and '03 I believe (I always get the years wrong on these...). And in 2000, the 150hp motor was the most powerful 1.8T VW had. The 180hp didn't come out until '02, and all other Mk4 cars (Jettas, Golfs) got that, while the NB never did (other than the Turbo S). Could be that maybe your car has a chip tune I guess. But it could also just be running well!

There should be a VIN decoder somewhere online which will help you figure out your trim level at least.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts