NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering what a tailwagger is I've seen it mentioned a few times on the org but it was never explained. I always assumed it was the the spoiler that pops up and down at the top of the rear window. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I think it's a switch that you can use to manually work the spoiler. There is one under the dash/steering wheel, but it's not accessable while driving. I think the tailwagger switch is reachable while driving. If not, someone will correct me. :eek:

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The tail-wagger allows the user to program at what speed the spoiler deploys and closes. They are not being made anymore and I have only ever seen one for sale and that was 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tail-wagger allows the user to program at what speed the spoiler deploys and closes. They are not being made anymore and I have only ever seen one for sale and that was 3 or 4 years ago.
Alright thanks for the explanation 2004NBTURBOS I figured it had to do with spoiler I thought it was like an aftermarket version though. Wish mine would go up at a lower speed since I've only ever gone fast enough for it to go up once, and I wasn't even in the New Beetle :(

It's still fun to press the button to have it go up though I guess :p

Thanks for your 2 cents as well dnyed, always appreciated :)

too many smilies?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Never to many smilies on the Org:):):):)
You can always replace the motor in the spoiler to the 03 and later unit. They go up at 45mph...down at 10mph.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never to many smilies on the Org:):):):)
You can always replace the motor in the spoiler to the 03 and later unit. They go up at 45mph...down at 10mph.
I'm alright with mine for now but I'll keep that in mind if I want to start showing mine off a little more

I'll put the time and effort into repairing mine for now :p

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
By the way, the 45mph spoilers are 2002+. I am glad all of my turbos were 02+.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, the 45mph spoilers are 2002+. I am glad all of my turbos were 02+.
Lol you're one of the lucky ones

At least I won't have to worry about the motor for it dying anytime soon...well I do press it up and down a lot so maybe.:confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are handy with cars AT ALL, you can do something ELSE with this spoiler.

There is a tiny speed sensor controlling the spoiler. So, disconnect that wire.
If you look UNDER the dash , just below the light dimmer, you'll find a small switch. When the key is on, this switch will make the spoiler go up, or down. And it's super easy to MOVE that switch to somewhere else, put it up where you can reach it and just click it and make the spoiler go up when you want it.

But, if you do NOT cut the sensor-wire, the spoiler would go back down almost immediately when you put it up while driving.

If you are PARKED, you can use the switch to set the spoiler up to clean it, or take pictures of it, and it will stay up. Soon as you start driving it'll go back down though due to the sensor. Couple guys on the org here have writeups that show you what wires to cut and how to make it work :)
I found out about the switch awhile back looking around here it was hard to find at first but yeah i put it up to clean (a TON of dirt finds its way under there)

Thanks for the advice on the speed sensor though I didn't know about that. It'll be nice to have it stay up instead of coming back down when I drive.

Thanks Evanrude.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts