NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I an new to the VW world and Love the my new purchase of a 2001 beetle GLS Turbo with 59,000 miles on it, the only issue is the EPC light comes on sometimes and reduces the power of my car to 40mph, i have learned so much about the beetles just by reading this forum, if anyone has had or read this issue I would appreciate the help, THANKS...

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
Welcome! I'm not technical enough to help you with your issue:home:, but never fear because someone will be along soon that can help. :)

Me? I just like to welcome people to the org. ;) Super low miles on your 2001 - congrats on the find. Hope you can post some pictures soon.

Again, welcome! :wave2:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello, I an new to the VW world and Love the my new purchase of a 2001 beetle GLS Turbo with 59,000 miles on it, the only issue is the EPC light comes on sometimes and reduces the power of my car to 40mph, i have learned so much about the beetles just by reading this forum, if anyone has had or read this issue I would appreciate the help, THANKS...
WELCOME TO THE ORG :D
Check out the Welcome link :
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

MORAV usually Welcomes you but I think he is on his way to some sunny Beach this week ;)

Go to Autozone and have them scan your car and let us know what the "Code" is. With the New Beetle it can be any number of things that could cause your issue.
That is such a LOOOOWW Mileage on that 2001. WOW, my 2000 GLX has almost 3 1/2 times the mileage of your beetle. Even though your beetle has low miles on it it is over 10 years old and if the Timing belt service hasn't been done on it I would suggest it be your first priority. Mileage is not the only factor. Age also plays a big part and that belt can break from old age and then your beetle will become a door stop in an instance.
But lets concentrate on your present issue. Sounds like your beetle goes into protective Limp Mode. This happens when the engine things there is something wrong that could damage the engine. Could be a vacuum leak, could be a dirty MAF or Throttlebody. Difficult to say without knowing what the codes are. Get it scanned and let us know what they are.
In the meantime take off the plastic cover and check the vacuum hoses for any cracks or softness. Those 1.8 engines get very HOT and those hoses get heat soaked and break or split. Rubber gets old and I am surprised they lasted that long. Also, I would pull the plugs and see what they look like. Plugs usually tell the story of the engine. If it is running to rich or too lean.
Where are you located? Perhaps there are some friendly Orgers in your area that can help you take a look or even hook your car up to a Vag com. Which is a much more thorough scan than a simple OBDII scanner.

Good luck and keep us posted. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum that will gladly help so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome to the wonderous and sometimes frustrating world of owning a Beetle ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
help

Thank you soo much for the info, I live in NW Indiana, the codes that i have gotten from Auto Zone and other stores are 1171 and 1542, I cleaned the MAP and the TB but don't know anything about the adaption or something like that or the Vag-com, are you supposed to do anything after you take the TB off and on? I did a visual on the vac lines under the cover and it seems ok, I WILL take all of the helpful advice that I can get to keep this beauty on the road.... thanks...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
help

Also, I have been reading more on other issues with other people, I have the 1.8 automatic, I want to take the trans and have it flushed because I've been reading that they go bad, is there any solution for that? Also the water pump and timing belt kit, is that something that I can do or leave it to a pro, and when should all of that get replaced? Anyone know if there is a trusted VW repair shop near me in 46307?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thank you soo much for the info, I live in NW Indiana, the codes that i have gotten from Auto Zone and other stores are 1171 and 1542, I cleaned the MAP and the TB but don't know anything about the adaption or something like that or the Vag-com, are you supposed to do anything after you take the TB off and on? I did a visual on the vac lines under the cover and it seems ok, I WILL take all of the helpful advice that I can get to keep this beauty on the road.... thanks...
Those codes are throttle body codes, however that doesn't always means it's your throttle body especially on the New Beetle's. They no longer have TPS or Throttle body sensors. VW got rid of those sometime in the 90's If those codes are present it can be a faulty temp sensor or O2 Sensor or a bad Catylitic converter. I would start with the least expensive option and get a new "Green" Temp Sensor.
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Temp Sensor > ES#1484 Coolant Temperature Sensor With O-Ring & Clip - 078919501CKIT

You can get one from the dealer but they usually charge about 50 bucks for one. But if you are in a hurry that might be the fastest way. If your temp sensor has never been changed you may still have an old "Black" sensor installed. They were known to fail prematurely. Swap it out with the new and Improved "Green" Version and reset the codes and see what happens. If that doesn't work we can move on to the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Also, I have been reading more on other issues with other people, I have the 1.8 automatic, I want to take the trans and have it flushed because I've been reading that they go bad, is there any solution for that? Also the water pump and timing belt kit, is that something that I can do or leave it to a pro, and when should all of that get replaced? Anyone know if there is a trusted VW repair shop near me in 46307?
Replacing the transmission fluid and filter would be a good idea. If your transmission isn't giving you any trouble than just cross your fingers and count your blessings. ;) When you do change it make sure it is the proper VW recommended transmission fluid. Regular ATF you find in the store is not recommended. Here is a Automatic transmission service kit for the 4 speed transmission: Home Page > Search > Automatic Transmission Fluid > ES#261800 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT

Here is the Timing Belt kit.:
Vw Beetle Timing Belt - Beetle Timing Belt Kit - 1.8 Liter

It depends how confident you are to install these items yourself. The Automatic transmission service is a lot easier than the timing belt service.
Here in Indianapolis is a VW/Audi/Porsche shop called EP Werks
EP Werks - Engineered Performance Werks, Inc.
They do excellent work for a reasonalbe amount of money.
Depending on vehicle they charge between $450 and $750 including parts and labor for the timing belt service.
That is less than half than most dealers will charge.
I would check in your area to see if there are any VW type shops that have honest rates.
Put your city and zip in here and see what comes up:
VW Repair Shops

Or if you are not too far from Indy just call Ian Baas at EP Werks and get it done there. They will probably need to keep your car overnight depending on their work schedule. They are very good and very busy most of the time. They had a beautiful R8 in their shop just the other day.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
ok, I will order this today, where is this located on the motor?
Take a look at this link for a DIY and location of the sensor.

VWVortex.com - DIY: Replacing your temperature sender with the updated one (green-top))

You may need to take your airbox off. I have an aftermarket air intake and it is easy to get to things but the stock airbox is pretty bulky and may get in the way.
Make sure you have the right sensor. There is a 112c Thermal sensor that is short and only 2 pin and then there is the larger 4 pin Coolant temp sensor. Both are hooked into one of the coolant hoses. When you remove the sensor you may loose a small amount of coolant. It is best to swap the sensor when the car has been sitting for a few hours so there is no pressure in the coolant system. That way you won't loose very much coolant. Actually I lost very little when I swapped mine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts