NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The much-hyped NewBeetle.org member map is ready to roll. You can access it at the following URL:

http://newbeetle.org/apps/member-map/

It can also be found linked from the homepage left-hand sidebar.

It should plot all members who have entered the necessary location info and haven't explicitly requested not to be plotted by checking "No" to "Include me on the member map?" in their profile.

If you are not finding yourself on the map, please ensure that you have entered city, state/province, country, and zip code (USA residents) data into your profile, and that your selection for "Include me on the member map?" is "Yes." If you have verified these things are entered properly (including spelling), but you are still not showing up, please send myself or CrazyJames a private message and we'll look into it. Also, please do the same if you find you are plotted, but in the incorrect location.

The map is updated hourly (to be specific, every xx:30. i.e. 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, etc.). Changes to your location info and additions to the member database (i.e. new members) will be picked up with each update.

We expect there to be some oddities. For each zip code or city, we are finding the latitude and longitude on which you should be plotted. We are using publicly available census information to find the latitude and longitude (a.k.a. "geocode"). While the data appears to be pretty accurate, it's possible that it's missing some zip codes or some city names. From what we can tell, though, it looks like the vast majority of our members are plotting correctly.

Once again, I have to profusely thank CrazyJames and noR for their programming help. Ron did the dirty work of parsing through the enormous geocode data files we had and parred them down into a manageable, usable format. James then did most of the dirty work, writing extensive PHP code to convert our member location info into usable geocodes. I put together the initial Javascript map display, but as our ideas got too complex for my meek programming skills, James took that over, too. Really, at least 75% of the credit here goes to James. So thank him when you get the chance!

Enjoy the map, and feel free to suggest enhancements to it. I can't promise we'll be able to provide them, but we'll certainly consider any requests you may have.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
thanks to all who worked on this! looks great! i need some more .org people in my area though. sob.

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
newbeetle.org rocks

One day i read a post in a forum about a Members map, which was cool, 2 days later nb.org is on it,Big Time! Now we have it with in a week. This Org. is Cool. A Shout Out to CrazyJames and noR You guys have busted your butts!:D

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good question was PM'd to me about how the map works, and I realized I probably should post the answer publicly. So, here goes:

We are plotting you based on your city and zip code. We don't take street addresses from members, so we have no way to plot exact residences. Plus, I'm not sure I want to be responsible for the security concerns that plotting an exact residence might bring up. I don't really want to be in the business of empowering stalkers. :)

You should appear at the approximate center-point of your zip code (in America) or city (International). That's by design, as they say.

·
Grandma LOVES bubbles!!
1,450 Posts
Cool job!! Didn't realize we were all over the world like that!!! Unfortunatly, Maine will never get a blue pin.:crying: And I feel sorry for that "Jam Test" guy...way uop in the cold, cold north!! We need to send him some warm love!!:hugkiss:

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
map

my map does not load...it just stays blank.
What am I doing wrong ?

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CA Solt said:
my map does not load...it just stays blank.
What am I doing wrong ?
Hmm, not sure. What browser are you using?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
browser

Using Internet Explorer.

Now that I think of it ... can my McAfee firewall be blocking this?

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CA Solt said:
Using Internet Explorer.

Now that I think of it ... can my McAfee firewall be blocking this?
It should work fine in IE 5.5 or higher.

I suppose it's possible that your firewall could blog it, if it's blocking services from Google. Shutting it down for a minute and trying the map might be worth a shot, just to see.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
map

I can google just fine...just no map images yet.
Let me try to work it with the fire wall off.

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CA Solt said:
I can google just fine...just no map images yet.
Let me try to work it with the fire wall off.
Well, if it was blocking, I think it would be blocking because of the cross-domain action. In other words, I'm sure you can go to google.com and use services there, but it's possible the firewall would block Google services when they are used on another site.

You might try viewing maps on another site that uses Google maps and see if you can see those, or if it's just here...here's a few links you can try with Google maps on this site chicagocrime.org (designed by a couple of friends of mine -- I assure you it's safe. :D)

http://www.chicagocrime.org/types/homicide/1/
http://www.chicagocrime.org/map/

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
maps

The maps don't work on either site...damn.

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just for fun, I added avatars to the map. Now, when you click a pin to see the member(s) that resides in that location, you'll also see their avatars.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
angelworks said:
Weird----I was there last night, but now-------not so much.
i say that all the time; "not so much". sorry, just made me smile when i saw someone else write it. :D

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
No sorry necessary------------more people should pipe up when something makes them smile.

We're so programed to only mention the yucky.

BOT-----nice map!

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
angelworks said:
Weird----I was there last night, but now-------not so much.
That was my mistake. After adding the avatars I was accidentally reading an old copy of the data file. I've fixed it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts