VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2007 Triple White
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a 1963 bug with a sliding roof, and it's been awhile. Just bought a 2007 Limited Edition Triple White Convertible. Love it. Has some sticky stuff on the interior. Needs a little cleaning. Denatured alcohol work for anyone?

·
Ooo shiny!
154 Posts
Alcohol is not leather or vinyl friendly; it can remove the moisture, thus shortening the life of the material.
Go to an automotive shop and buy something alcohol-free that's made to clean car upholstery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Denatured alcohol was the only thing that worked for me. I did not use it on my leather interior but used it to rub off the sticky black top paint. It gets messy so be prepared for gloves and lots of patience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe the original poster can clarify what part of the interior is sticky. If referring to the dash there is no harm in using denatured alcohol. Obviously I wouldn't recommend that on leather but this sounds like the topcoat sticky dash that others have written about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2007 Triple White
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sticky Interior

Sorry, that would have helped if I were more specific. The plastic around the gear shift and air vent on passenger side are both very very sticky. Those are the two troublesome spots. I am hoping to start with a good cleaning, and then perhaps replace the parts. For now, get rid of the sticky, gooey surface. Also have to clean the fogged up head lights. Otherwise, the car is in really great condition. Haven't named it yet...Boy or girl. Haven't decided, but very excited!

·
Ooo shiny!
154 Posts
Sorry, that would have helped if I were more specific. The plastic around the gear shift and air vent on passenger side are both very very sticky.!
The plastic is in the process of breaking down, but I'm surprised it's happening in plastic from this century! I have seen this happen in plastic and vinyl toys from the 1960's. It might be caused by heat or the application of some kind of corrosive cleaning solvent such as acetone.
Try putting a baking soda paste (made with water) on it for a few minutes, that should help stop the breakdown. If it doesn't work, then it's too far gone and like you said, replace it. A light dusting of Talcum powder (made with baking soda), will keep it from being sticky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts