VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI NB forum ... Purchased a 99 NB 2 weeks ago with 165,000 miles on her. Red 5 speed . Since I haven't driven one in 25 + years I am not sure how my NB is supposed to sound when it is driving..

I think the car runs smoothly - it idles smooth - accelerates nicely etc....What I get is a whirring noise after some highway driving or extended street driving that is not there when I first get going. Best way I can describe this is like a whirring when I come off the clutch and accelerator pedal..

It could be an engine knock or a transmission issue of some sort, or it could be normal for how the car is supposed to sound.

I tried googling a few VW/NB sites and read that these 2.0's have a knock engine issue that is common.

Any insight is appreciated..

Thanks, Austin

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Does the noise increase with speed? If it does, it is probably a wheel bearing. Mine went out at about that mileage. Mines is red and a 99 2.0 5 speed also! Welcome to the new beetle.org!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the noise increase with speed? If it does, it is probably a wheel bearing. Mine went out at about that mileage......
HI .. Thanks, no it is a whirring definitely coming from engine or transmission...

AA

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
So, you hear the noise when you are decelerating? Does it happen equally in all gears?

Whirring is usually transmission related. First thing would be to check the fluid level. A fluid change couldn't hurt either. I've changed mine twice now and I can tell the transmission works better when the fluid is fresh. Here is how to check the fluid level:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-2.0L (AEG) (2000) > Transmission and Drivetrain > Manual Transmission/Transaxle > Fluid - M/T > Component Information > Specifications > Page 5974

You will need a 17 mm allen key to remove the plug. The drain is a 17 mm key on the bottom of the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, you hear the noise when you are decelerating? Does it happen equally in all gears?

Whirring is usually transmission related. First thing would be to check the fluid level. A fluid change couldn't hurt either. I've changed mine twice now and I can tell the transmission works better when the fluid is fresh.
Yes I think it is transmission noise. I have had the NB for about 2 weeks now & did just have my mechanic replace a leaking oil filter housing gasket; & while it was there he did an oil change + LubroMolly and Lucas & transmission flush adding red line tran fluid. Since then I have had to put on a few miles ( like 300 ) and I'm hoping that these work into the engine & transmission and soon quiet things down for me.

I know I've read NBs are a PITA to work on and fix 1 thing and 2 new things go wrong, but I like the way the car handles and the 5 speed makes it a fun car to drive. Aside from the formentioned knock or whirr noise, the shifting is smooth and the car runs smoothly. So hoping that there are some NBs that do not give headaches each month ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts