NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I have been a proud owner of a 2000, 2.0, automatic New Beetle for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. One thing is bothering me though, the sunroof does not seem to work as planned. So the question is, is the inside part of the sunroof (the sunshade) supposed to be moved manually by hand, or is it supposed to open simultaneously with the actual, glass sunroof? I have tried to look answers in the owner’s manual, but since it’s in German I’m having hard time understanding it, being a Finn myself.

What happens with my car is that whenever I open or tilt the sunroof, the sunshade moves along with the glass. What I would sometimes like to do is to keep the glass part closed, but visible so that only the sunshade would be moved back. Right now, if I try to slide it by hand, it will not move without significant force. Hope this makes sense to you :)

In short, should I be able to slide the sunshade with my hands like in the picture or not?

WP_20140623_002.jpg

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
I know on my GTI, if I tilt the sunroof, the shade stays closed until I open it by hand. I can also open it by hand if the sunroof is closed. If I open the sunroof entirely, the shade moves with the glass. It has to be closed manually when the sunroof is closed. I would imagine the Beetle one works the same.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You should be able to slide it by hand. There are 4 slides attached to the sunroof shade which slide along a track in the mechanism. There is a lubricant made for them from VW but lithium grease should work. The gliudes can be replaced if they are broken but it requires removing the sunroof glass to do it. Not difficult but a pain as you need to align the sunroof when you put it back in. I just made sure the screws matched the marks onthe spots where they go.

Sorry I don't have pictures as they are in my computer that died.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. It would seem that I have to replace the sliders that keep the sunshade on it's tracks.

Will update how the story developes :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As promised, an update shall follow:

The reason for the malfunctioning sunshade was indeed the broken "slider" that should keep the shade on it's tracks.

I ended up taking the car to a dealership for repairs since I lack sufficient tools or know-how to do it myself. The dealership ended up charging for one hour of work and 10 € a piece for the broken sliders. I guess Beetles with a sunroof are not that common here in Finland, since they had to order the parts from abroad and generally seemed a bit confused on how to do the repair...

Anyway, thanks again for the info earlier, now I'm off to the sunset with my functioning sunroof! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I ask a question about the same "Sun Shade" I just bought a nice used 2001 New Beetle for my daughter who is 15 years old, turning 16 in September. The vehicle is a GLS Turbo that came with the moonroof, however, there is NOT A SUN SHADE in the moonroof. Apparently the previous owner took it out for some reason. Where can I find this part to put it back in, without going to the dealer and paying out the shorts? Also, if I am able to get a Sun Shade, how do I install it probably so that I didn't have to worry about the moonroof leaking on my daughter..... That's if us here in California ever get any rain. ?
Thank you anyone for all your help in advance.

Jeff

·
Ooo shiny!
154 Posts
Can I ask a question about the same "Sun Shade" I just bought a nice used 2001 New Beetle for my daughter who is 15 years old, turning 16 in September. The vehicle is a GLS Turbo that came with the moonroof, however, there is NOT A SUN SHADE in the moonroof. Apparently the previous owner took it out for some reason. Where can I find this part to put it back in, without going to the dealer and paying out the shorts? Also, if I am able to get a Sun Shade, how do I install it probably so that I didn't have to worry about the moonroof leaking on my daughter..... That's if us here in California ever get any rain. ?
Thank you anyone for all your help in advance.

Jeff
Lucky little girl! I'm in Cali too and we've been getting a lot more rain than usual. But what exactly are you looking for? The actual glass of the moon roof, or the cover inside the car?
My first Beetle was a 2000 (all the GLS Turbos came with Moon roofs back then); had to sell when my daughter was a few months old, cause I could no longer lift her in her baby carrier into the back seat. I really miss that car...
Anyway, you can get the Moon Roof and/or the Cover second hand at a junk or salvage yard, maybe even on Craigslist. eBay or a VW parts shop is another option, though would probably be more expensive, though not as much as at a dealer. Not sure how to install, but the place you buy it from should be able to help.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
e bay or salvage yard for the sunshade, To install it you have to remove the glass.( hang on it is not as hard as it sounds)
Open the sunroof to vent ( rear pops up but roof stays closed). Look at the mechanism on each side of the sunroof there are 2 (size 15 torque Screws?) each side. They may have a small plastic cover over them remove the cover carefully remove screws from each side and the sun roof glass can be lifted off( be careful it is kind of heavy for its size) Place it someplace safe and you will see a track where the sun shade slides Put the shade in the track make sure it slides before you put the glass back in. Carefully set the glass back in place. If you look closely at the screw holes you should see small marks where the screws were tighten in the factory Match the marks and the glass will be aligned correctly.

Do Not open the sunroof mechanism without the glass in place Is the sunshade missing or is it stuck in the fully open position? The slides go bad and the sunshade doesn't move like it should. You may findit when you out the glass I will try and take some pictures today and post them later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts