NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LilyBug
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I figured I'd join a forum since my husband is always on his on VWvortex. I've looked around the forum and everyone seems nice.

But anyways, my husband drives a 2001 vw golf and now i'm going to get a new beetle, so that way we can start our VW family early. His uncle has vw also and his fiance has a rabbit.:D

I actually don't have the car yet, but I am buying my NB tomorrow, it is a white 2002 NB GLS for $5500. it has about 55K miles on it and its has a clean title. but the only thing is, it has 2 minor electrical problems. The button to adjust the side mirrors doesn't work and neither does the button on the drivers side for the passengers window, but the button on the passenger works.

Is it worth buying it?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi all, I figured I'd join a forum since my husband is always on his on VWvortex. I've looked around the forum and everyone seems nice.
Welcome to the 'Org!

I actually don't have the car yet, but I am buying my NB tomorrow, it is a white 2002 NB GLS for $5500. it has about 55K miles on it and its has a clean title.

Is it worth buying it?
We need to know more:
  • 2.0, 1.8T, or TDI (I assume the GLS was available in all three...)?
  • Manual or Automatic (beware the dreaded 01M slushbox used in that model year!)?
  • Does it have good maintenance records?
  • Has the timing belt been done, and if so, by whom?

·
Not low enough
947 Posts
are you buying it based on the price? mileage? what are you really looking for in a beetle?

if for some reason you're dead set on this car, those two issues are pretty small in the world of VW. however i think if you hunted a little more you could find a gem.

·
LilyBug
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the 'Org!

We need to know more:
  • 2.0, 1.8T, or TDI (I assume the GLS was available in all three...)?
  • Manual or Automatic (beware the dreaded 01M slushbox used in that model year!)?
  • Does it have good maintenance records?
  • Has the timing belt been done, and if so, by whom?

I found the car on craiglist, and the reason why this guy was selling this is that his cousin gave it to him since his cousin found a new job in a different city and couldn't use the NB anymore. This guy that i'm buying the NB from already has 3 cars, a vw jetta, bmw and a saturn.

it is an automatic, i refuse to drive a manual again in california. we currently have one car and its a manual and i couldn't drive it because of hills here in south california.

but anyways, it's a 4 cyl, 2.0, runs great (i've test drove it), all power, sunroof, ac and heater working great, has about 58K miles, the 6 CD changer is working, never been on any accident and does have a clean title, brand new battery, it has been smog, also it does have new exhaust. I've met with the guy who is selling this to me and he did showed my husband and i all the paper work that was done with this NB.

·
LilyBug
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you buying it based on the price? mileage? what are you really looking for in a beetle?

if for some reason you're dead set on this car, those two issues are pretty small in the world of VW. however i think if you hunted a little more you could find a gem.
well i am on a budget since my husband and i have to buy a house soon since we just moved here in escondido, ca. I just needed to buy a car to take me to work since we only have one car and i really don't like driving it around here because it's a manual. And another reason why i wanted to buy a NB is because I've always wanted one but with a lime green color, but i've came across the white one and it looked better, i think. i honestly don't know anything about cars, so i usually take my husband's words on the things he tell me since mostly its correct.

·
Super Moderator
14,719 Posts
Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

For New Beetles, this is the much friendlier place, than the 'tex. :rolleyes:

Pre-Congratulations to you! :party:

·
LilyBug
36 Posts
Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

For New Beetles, this is the much friendlier place, than the 'tex. :rolleyes:

Pre-Congratulations to you! :party:

Ha! I hope this is and it seems everyone is nice, and my husband said that 'tex does have a lot of *haters, and he's even one of them. Haha!

*mod edit. no cr3at1ve3 sp3lling, pl3ase.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
haha.

The mirrors are a cheap and easy fix. You can even find the parts on ebay for a good price too!

Congrats on the Beetle! Don't forget to post pictures!!!

·
Fiona's proud mom <3
2004 2.0L GL Cyber Green
4,674 Posts
Welcome to the org from a fellow socal member :wave3: although i am a bit north of you its nice to see more of us :) I got lucky with my cyber green since she isnt faded :D

Good luck with your bug and congrats, cant wait to see pics :)

·
LilyBug
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's nice to see people from socal. doesn't matter which part of socal, even though i just moved here, found out that each city is like a 5-30 minutes drive depends on traffic. which is cool.

yey.:D

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm jealous that you found one with those miles, for that price! LMAO The only downside to it for me is that it's an auto, and I required a manual when I bought HJ.

Welcome to the world of nB's!! It's a fun family to be part of. :D

·
LilyBug
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm jealous that you found one with those miles, for that price! LMAO The only downside to it for me is that it's an auto, and I required a manual when I bought HJ.

Welcome to the world of nB's!! It's a fun family to be part of. :D

yeh. i have to get an automatic because california has a lot of hills and im scared driving manual in them. i always think i will roll back.

i've driven a manual vw golf gti for a while, since my husband was in iraq, that was only one i can drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts