NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i hope someone can help me please. i have just bought my first beetle a couple of days ago and have a few problems.

1. the mileage display on the car doesnt work and has no display atall. everything else on the speedo works fine.

2. my car is very sluggish and doesnt have any power it is like it is un resonsive when accelerator pedal is pressed.

3. finally the clutch pedal is very high and not inline with the brake pedal.

any help or advice will be very much appreciated. thanks Melissa

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi everyone, i hope someone can help me please. i have just bought my first beetle a couple of days ago and have a few problems.

1. the mileage display on the car doesnt work and has no display atall. everything else on the speedo works fine.

2. my car is very sluggish and doesnt have any power it is like it is un resonsive when accelerator pedal is pressed.

3. finally the clutch pedal is very high and not inline with the brake pedal.

any help or advice will be very much appreciated. thanks Melissa
Hi Melissa,

In order to help you we will need a bit more information,like what year is your beetle? What engine and transmission does it have. How many miles on the car? When was the last timing belt service done? Did you have the car checked for codes?
If not I would suggest you take it to Autozone or another Major Autoparts store that offers free reading of the OBDII codes. Then make sure your write the codes down and not just let them tell you what they mean. Most of the time those people don't have a clue and misread those codes especially on a VW. So make sure you have them give you the codes.
Post them here along with all the other information I listed above and we can start making some educated suggestions.
With the information listed so far only a Psychic could help ;)

Welcome to the ORG.

Tom in Indy

PS: I see from your post that you probably don't know the mileage of the car since your cluster isn't working properly. Also since you have a clutch you have a manual
transmission which is in your favor. Those rarely go bad unlike the Crapomatics that VW put in the early beetle's. The clutch pedal sitting slightly higher than the brake
pedal is normal and prevents you from sliding over with your right foot and hitting the clutch instead of the brake. Not sure what engine you have but your sluggish performance
could be a vacuum leak especially if you have a 1.8 Turbo motor or it also could be bad coil packs, bad plugs, bad PCV valve, dirty fuel filter etc. Get the codes read and it
should shed some light on what is going on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts