VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im new here but have already found this site to have some great info. I purchased my daughter her first car which s a 2002 Beetle GLS 2.0 Gas model with 95K. Seems to run good and I have to admit, my wife and I are both hooked and love driving it as well.

There was no records of any maintenance records but I did run a Auto Check before buying it and it has a clean record.

To be safe than sorry i have chosen to get the following done on it. My neighbor is a ASE tech and will do it for me reasonably so i will be doing the below so far this weekend.

* Replace timing belt, water pump with a Geba metal impeller, tensioner and serpentine belt.
* Replacing spark plugs and wires with genuine VW NGK platinums and wires
* hoping to get my neighbor to also drain tranny and replace fluid and install new filter and gasket.

Anything else recommended?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Do not mix coolents when the water pump is changed. VW coolent is pink (G12) or purple(g12+)Anything else mixed with it will cause gelling and a clogged system.

Mix with distilled water. Dealer item or you can use petrosin the manufacturer for vw ( some indeendant auto parts places have it.)

replace the serpintine belt tensioner at the same time and the front end of motor should be good for 80,000 miles.

Welcome to the org.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
anything else

Hello. Im new here but have already found this site to have some great info. I purchased my daughter her first car which s a 2002 Beetle GLS 2.0 Gas model with 95K. Seems to run good and I have to admit, my wife and I are both hooked and love driving it as well.

There was no records of any maintenance records but I did run a Auto Check before buying it and it has a clean record.

To be safe than sorry i have chosen to get the following done on it. My neighbor is a ASE tech and will do it for me reasonably so i will be doing the below so far this weekend.

* Replace timing belt, water pump with a Geba metal impeller, tensioner and serpentine belt.
* Replacing spark plugs and wires with genuine VW NGK platinums and wires
* hoping to get my neighbor to also drain tranny and replace fluid and install new filter and gasket.

Anything else recommended?

Many thanks
Yes, turn the a/c on to see if the radiator fans both run. They should and its just an item to check off the list.

·
Super Moderator
14,800 Posts
Are you in the Portland/Vancouver/Camas area?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
parts to check

one thing you might want to check also is the fuses on top of the battery for corrosion which causes multiple problems. If they look like they are in good condition double check them again from the bottom. lot's of folks are having continuity problems with those, poor design by VW I think, that's no place to put fuses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the replies and additional suggestions. Sounds like there are still alot of items I need to cover as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do not mix coolents when the water pump is changed. VW coolent is pink (G12) or purple(g12+)Anything else mixed with it will cause gelling and a clogged system.

Mix with distilled water. Dealer item or you can use petrosin the manufacturer for vw ( some indeendant auto parts places have it.)

replace the serpintine belt tensioner at the same time and the front end of motor should be good for 80,000 miles.

Welcome to the org.
I purchased the timng belt kit which includes the G12 coolant from Boraparts.com out of Gresham, OR. Will this work fine?

Bora Parts Inc.

·
Super Moderator
14,800 Posts
Brian at Bora, will get you set up. He's a personal friend!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I sent an email to their [email protected] so hopfeully ill get a reply with some info. I couldnt find just a serpentine tensioner for my model yet im sure they have one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting these maintenance items done today. Exciting!

I am getting all of the above routine and probably much needed items done today thanks to my neighbor/ friend and ASE certified tech. I am sure thankful for him performing all of these tasks for me.

I also must mention a thanks to Aaron at Boraparts.com for arranging for me to pick up the 40k auto trans kit outside of their locations hours rather last minute so I could get the trans fluid, filter and gasket changed out as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your icon photo looks like the car is silver... if it is, that's my same car! 2002 2.0 gas in silver. :) Got mine a year ago with only 50k on it for mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, its a silver one. We are having a blast with our first beetle. Although we got it for our daughter as her first car, it seems to be my wife's now:)

Our SUV has been parked in the garage for over a week!

PS: with my recent maintenance done on it we also changed out the fuel filter as well so its had its share of scheduled maintenance done and ready to be driven.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to the beetle! My first car was a silver '98 beetle. Sold it, bought the '05 in '07, now my mom adopted it :)

Looks like you have hit all the major maintenance items, now it is time for fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts