VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! My ex and I bought a used 2005 beetle convertible 1.8 turbo for our daughter a year ago, and most of that time it's been sitting in our driveway. My non-mechanic ex would try to fix one thing, and two would break! Rather than take the car in to a legit shop, he just bought her a Prius instead. So, now the Beetle is mine.
It's only got 69,000 miles, and the guy we bought it from said it has a new transmission. And it's cute as a button, so I'd like to fix it if possible.
When I started working on it, it:
Had 4 OBDII errors. I forget the codes, but they were related to the Mass Airflow Sensor, Vacuum leaks, and the Throttle Body. I replaced the MAS, found all the loose and disconnected hoses and fixed those, and cleaned the Throttle Body and reset it, which cleared all those codes.
Neither radiator fan was working, so I tested and replaced the Fan Control Module, and they're working now.

The continuing problems are:
1. When my ex replaced the front tie rods (and I don't know what else, or why he did it) he reinstalled the steering wheel wrong, and now it points at around 9:45/ 10:00 instead of 12:00. I recall him saying something about the local tire shop refusing to align it after he did that work, but I don't know why.
2. The speedometer now shows the car going 20 mph when at a dead stop, and stays a constant 20mph above whatever real speed the car is going.
3. An ongoing issue with the ASR. The dash light is on, and while accelerating, it will lose all power for a sec, then resume. Also braking is crazy when that happens - like there are rocks between the brakes and wheels. Pushing the SRS button provides a temporary fix. For a short while, when one of the vacuum hoses popped loose, the ASR stopped losing power on acceleration, and the braking wasn't as bad either. Don't know how they could possibly be related.
I was hoping a more detailed code diagnostic would help pinpoint what I need to do, so I bought a Foxwell N510 Elite and ran a complete scan... And now, not only am I no closer to fixing the ASR issue, all these unexpected codes have me completely overwhelmed and have no idea where to start!!
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd deeply appreciate it! Like I said, I'm no mechanic, but I'm a smart cookie, and I'm pretty good at following instructions. :)

À{"LB":"VW->SmartVIN->1Y - New Beetle Convertible 2003 >->2005 (5)->Cabriolet->Diagnosis->CAN Quick Scan(2005-)->Quick Scan","Lang":"en","VehicleName":"VOLKSWAGEN","Version":"1.1","JVer":"1.0"} Ý{"DATA":{"UT":"AS","VID":"0>00000000>11>SelectFunc>Diagnosis>00000003>StartAutoScan","TT":"Quick Scan","WU":false,"STAT":-1,"LB":"","IDX":0,"CNT":0,"CS":-1,"WR":[20,20,60],"IS":

[{"ID":0,"LB":"01-Engine Control system","VA":"Fault | 3","STAT":1,"IES":
[{"DID":"16384","STAT":"Intermittent","DDE":" - Unknow Error Code - Intermittent"},{"DID":"16946","STAT":"Intermittent","DDE":"System Voltage Too Low : P0562 - Intermittent"},{"DID":"18693","STAT":"Intermittent","DDE":"Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction : P2261 - Intermittent"}]},

{"ID":1,"LB":"02-Auto Trans Control system","VA":"Fault | 4","STAT":1,"IES":[{"DID":"00260","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Solenoid Valve 2 (N89) - static - Speed difference too great"},
{"DID":"01045","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Tiptronic Switch (F189) - static - Short circuit to another valve"},{
"DID":"01314","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Engine Control Module - static - Connector"},
{"DID":"00364","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Terminal 15 Slave - static - No fault type identified"}]},

{"ID":2,"LB":"03-ABS Brakes Control system","VA":"Fault | 3","STAT":1,"IES":
[{"DID":"00778","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Steering Angle Sensor (G85) - static - Short circuit to another valve"},
{"DID":"00668","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Supply Voltage Terminal 30 - static - Short circuit to another valve"},
{"DID":"01164","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"ESP Operation - static - Short circuit to another valve"}]},

{"ID":3,"LB":"15-Airbags Control system","VA":"Fault | 1","STAT":1,"IES":[{"DID":"00532","STAT":"Passive/Occasional","DDE":"Supply Voltage B+ - static - No fault type identified"}]},

{"ID":4,"LB":"17-Instruments Control system","VA":"Fault | 1","STAT":1,"IES":
[{"DID":"01321","STAT":"sporadic - No conmmunication","DDE":"Control Module for Airbags (J234) - sporadic - No conmmunication"}]},

{"ID":5,"LB":"19-CAN Gateway Control system","VA":"Fault | 1","STAT":1,"IES":

[{"DID":"01321","STAT":"sporadic - No conmmunication","DDE":"Control Module for Airbags (J234) - sporadic - No conmmunication"}]},

{"ID":6,"LB":"25-Immobilizer Control system","VA":"Fault | 1","STAT":1,"IES":

{"ID":7,"LB":"26-Auto Roof Control system","VA":"Fault | 1","STAT":1,"IES":
[{"DID":"00532","STAT":"Active/Static","DDE":"Supply Voltage B+"}]},

{"ID":11,"LB":"46-Central Conv. Control system","VA":"Fault | 5","STAT":1,"IES":
[{"DID":"01330","STAT":"sporadic - Power supply too small","DDE":"Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393) - sporadic - Power supply too small"},
{"DID":"00932","STAT":"sporadic - No or incorrect setting","DDE":"Electric Window Motor: Drivers Side (V147) - sporadic - No or incorrect setting"},
{"DID":"00928","STAT":"sporadic - Implausible signal","DDE":"Locking Module for Central Locking: Front Driver Side (F220) - sporadic - Implausible signal"},
{"DID":"01359","STAT":"sporadic - Implausible signal","DDE":"Internal Central Locking Switch: Passenger Side (E198) - sporadic - Implausible signal"},
{"DID":"00933","STAT":"sporadic - No or incorrect setting","DDE":"Electric Window Motor: Passenger Side (V148) - sporadic - No or incorrect setting"}]}]}}

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not much of a reply and no research done here but I'm seeing some sort of a communications path has been disrupted. Kind of like your router has died or unplugged and now your computer no longer is talking to your nternet cable box, your printers, tablet, etc, etc.

Maybe just a fuse blown that powers some of those accy modules?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Looks like you have a relatively substantial list of issue and possibly, some issues with incorrectly installed parts. You might start with the steering and suspension issues, get that handled and then, start working down the list of issues. If the tie rod ends, are severely out of alignment; it can be hard or impossible to drive. It might need to be towed and have that fixed or undo, the tie rod ends, readjust it, so it tracks straight. Then, you could drive it to a alignment shop and have them, check over everything, see if anything else needs replaced or fixed, then finally aligned.

As noted, your last area of the list of trouble codes; is kinda garbled. When, we see a massive list of trouble codes; there typically, is a power or charging issue. I would have that checked, confirm the battery, alternator, are working as they should; then, clear codes; see, what comes back.

Once, you can actually drive it and the charging system is working and confirmed correct, then you can move on to other issues you listed. We can go from there, thanks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
As to the Foxwell N510, it looks to have substantial coverage; including VW, if installed?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Since you have all the codes recorded you might want to clear them and see what comes back.

The steering angle sensor code is a result of the tie rod/front end issue it will also probably be the asr issue as well. If you want to tackle fixing the tie rods/front end yourself the are some write ups available here on this site and over at tdiclub.com. Let us know and we can help find them. That issue will require a couple of special tools you may not have but is doable. The steering angle sensor may need to be reset after the front end is fixed. I’m not sure your foxwell can do that.

As billy suggested check the battery. After a car sits for an extended period the battery usually looses its charge and a low battery will often cause a multitude of random codes that once they are cleared and the battery is up to snuff, will not come back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much of a reply and no research done here but I'm seeing some sort of a communications path has been disrupted. Kind of like your router has died or unplugged and now your computer no longer is talking to your nternet cable box, your printers, tablet, etc, etc.

Maybe just a fuse blown that powers some of those accy modules?
Thanks for your input! I have checked all the fuses. First I went through them with a test light with the fuses still plugged in, and a handful tested bad. So next, I pulled each out and tested individually with a multimeter, and they all tested ok, but there was dark brown oxidation or crud discoloring the contacts on most of them, so I took a dremel with an emory tip and gently cleaned each one, and sprayed a little electrical contact cleaner in each fuse holder. (Don't worry! I had the battery removed at the time. Haha)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As to the Foxwell N510, it looks to have substantial coverage; including VW, if installed?

Yes! I ordered it with the VW module specifically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yes! I bought it with the VW module preinstalled because it seemed like the closest I could get on Amazon to a Ross Tech setup. (I had Amazon credit, but will get Ross Tech when I can afford it!)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks for your input! I have checked all the fuses. First I went through them with a test light with the fuses still plugged in, and a handful tested bad. So next, I pulled each out and tested individually with a multimeter, and they all tested ok, but there was dark brown oxidation or crud discoloring the contacts on most of them, so I took a dremel with an emory tip and gently cleaned each one, and sprayed a little electrical contact cleaner in each fuse holder. (Don't worry! I had the battery removed at the time. Haha)
Good job. Most people have no idea how to do that.

For an additional $20 you could have had the top of the line vw tool that has American support right here from my home state of PA. All you would need is a laptop to download the free software and plug the cable into the USB port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts