VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum but it looks like you guys might be of help. I just purchased a 2002 Beetle for my daughter, only 81,000 miles. I drove it home ran flawless. Later in the day a check engine light showed up Auto Zone scanner says o2 sensor 1 bank 1. Later in the day we noticed the gas gauge stopped working reads empty but I'm sure it has gas. The next thing that happens is a loud pop now the car won't idle but I can keep it running by holding my foot on the gas. I'm sure this is probally more than one issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Sorry you're having problems; I would get the car scanned with a Volkswagen compatible scanner, see what trouble codes there are. Whatever codes; you find, please post them up here. We really; need those codes, to help you diagnose the problems you are having. :)

My first thought; is a possible, fuel pump failure and low fuel pressure. You can easily; test the fuel pressure and see if it is in spec with a fuel pressure tester (these can be rented or purchased, from most auto parts stores, places like harbor freight). As simple as it sounds; I would also, make sure you have adequate fuel in the gas tank.

The failure of the fuel guage; could be the sending unit that is connected to the fuel pump or the gauge itself in the speedo cluster, has failed. This can be tested with a Volkswagen scan tool; like the Ross Tech VCDS or with a multimeter (if you remove the sending unit from the gas tank).

A common issue; that has come up on the 2.0L, is a dirty throttle body and can cause stalling, problems with idling. A throttle body clean and alignment; can fix that issue.

The "pop"; could be a misfire or who knows what else. I would check over the engine, for vacuum leaks, check the coil, for cracks, damage to the plug wires and see, if the spark plugs are fouled.

Before, doing anything; I would have it scanned again and see if any other codes are coming up, see if that gives you anything to go on.

You can lookup fuel pressure testing and any other procedures, in the service manual. Here is a online one; for free, if you don't have one yet.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Registered
758 Posts
With so many years and so many miles on the car, I'd also check to see if the timing belt has ever been replaced. If not, that will need to be done a.s.a.p. because if that belt breaks, it will cause severe engine damage. This "regular maintenance" item is extremely critical on these cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body today ran rough for a bit then idled fine. Drove it around town no check engine light. Just need to get the fuel gauge working but things are looking up. Thanks for the help guys I'm sure I'll be back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke way too soon the check engine light came back, still no fuel gauge but here's the new one- brake light is on like the e brake is on. I pulled the switch and also tried a jumper between the connectors it's still on with the chime going off. The brake fluid is full and the brake lights on the rear of the car work. Anyone know if the e brake switch is normally open or closed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The brake light coming on could mean that your brake pads are worn out. On my 2000 beetle, there is a wear sensor on the left front pad that activated the dash brake light and beeped when the pads were worn out. Simple to check the pad thickness to see if that is your issue.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
On the brake light; a vw scanner, should give you a trouble code and help you diagnose the problem. Did you pick up a vw compatible; scanner yet? They have very affordable ones; on amazon.com.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did get one from Amazon but it won't connect, spent too much time with it trying to make it work. I'm going to try it on another laptop because the disc wouldn't run in mine.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone have an answer about the hand brake switch is it open or closed when the brake is pulled?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
hand brake

Anyone have an answer about the hand brake switch is it open or closed when the brake is pulled?
yes, it's closed when you pull the hand brake. one wire is brown and go's directly to ground and the other is brown/yellow go's to a relay panel position 8 mounted under the dash, kinda where your knees are when you're driving. From there it go's to the instrument cluster. hope you find the problem. # 8 in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks pulled that relay no light on the dash and no annoying alarm and of course no DRL's but who really caress about those.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts