NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2006 NB locally. 79000 miles, 2.5 engine, new top.
... Runs great, but I want to have it checked by a VW tech. I'm 75 yrs old and have had VWs since 1966.

What problems can I expect to have with my ride.

I do have the sticky dash, buts it's coming off with GOO B GONE.

It's has the crayon smell

·
blue highways
735 Posts
Welcome:) Looks great! Not up on vert’-specific troubles except the quarter windows seemed to be an issue, at least early-on.

·
Registered
13,667 Posts
The early 2.5L's have had issues with the timing chain/tensioner failures; VW has updated parts, to address this, definitely have that checked or get it replaced, as a preventative measure, as it can cause a catastrophic failure, wipe out the head/vavles (100 to 150k seems a common failure range). The vacuum pump is known to leak oil; they have gasket kits to reseal those and you typically do not need to replace the pump. The PCV diaphragm in the valve cover; is known, to tear/leak, this is integrated into the valve cover, they sell a repair kit by Dorman, RKXtech or you can replace the whole valve cover.

The transmissions on these VW's; are known, to develop shifting issues, they typically end up being worn shift solinoids in the valve body (they stick; causing shifiting problems), a rebuilt valve body is the fix for that. It is a good idea, to have your trans serviced with new fluid and filter, as vw promoted a "lifetime fill", never had a recommended service interval and so, most people never service it.

Some good videos on the humble mechanic youtube page;

If you decide to keep the car for awhile and possibly, do some of your own maintenance on it, getting a vw specific scan tool, is a good idea. Check out VCDS by Ross Tech or OBDeleven, that runs on android devices.

·
Registered
13,667 Posts
They classic "crayon smell"; is the sound deadening material under the carpet. Some have replaced it with something like dynamat and the smell went away; somewhat involved to do this but it can be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The early 2.5L's have had issues with the timing chain/tensioner failures; VW has updated parts, to address this, definitely have that checked or get it replaced, as a preventative measure, as it can cause a catastrophic failure, wipe out the head/vavles (100 to 150k seems a common failure range). The vacuum pump is known to leak oil; they have gasket kits to reseal those and you typically do not need to replace the pump. The PCV diaphragm in the valve cover; is known, to tear/leak, this is integrated into the valve cover, they sell a repair kit by Dorman, RKXtech or you can replace the whole valve cover.

The transmissions on these VW's; are known, to develop shifting issues, they typically end up being worn shift solinoids in the valve body (they stick; causing shifiting problems), a rebuilt valve body is the fix for that. It is a good idea, to have your trans serviced with new fluid and filter, as vw promoted a "lifetime fill", never had a recommended service interval and so, most people never service it.

Some good videos on the humble mechanic youtube page;

If you decide to keep the car for awhile and possibly, do some of your own maintenance on it, getting a vw specific scan tool, is a good idea. Check out VCDS by Ross Tech or OBDeleven, that runs on android devices.
thank you. great to know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts