NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm gonna' put this here, because where else... :rolleyes:

Edit 10/1/2011. Before you even read this post, go read the following.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52619-2002-beetle-help.html?highlight=immobilizer
This is about a Bugger with ONE key. I'm going to potentially save you a LOT of money, especially if you have a "Immobilizer" system. Here is how you know:
1998-1999 - No
2001-2001 - Immobilizer II
2002-2010 - Immobilizer III
GET A SPARE KEY!
The most informative site, on the planet, about NB keys is here -
www.sidewinderkey.com
GET A SPARE KEY!

If you need maintenace schedule information for your new New Beetle, per the Bentley Service Manual, go here -
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/New+Beetle+1998-2010%2C+New+Beetle+Convertible+2003-2010

IMPORTANT - Do not allow the Corner Oil Change & Lube to top off any fluids, most are specific to VW. Filling with standard type fluids could and will cause damage. Familiarize yourself with the correct fluids before changing or topping any fluids!

Wondering what the proper name is for the color of your New Beetle? Go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/paint-body/53242-your-new-beetle-your-color-whats-called.html

Ever wonder what your VIN reveals, scroll down the thread to Post #4 where I have posted the VIN Cards for all model years!

Now that you know what "Trim Level" e.g. GL, GLS, GLX, you have you probably want to know what is included in your trim package and what was an option, maybe what the price was for your specific model, many other things to be known. Here's how -
Click on this link (I have set it to link to the 2001, but anyone can change that by going to the address bar at the top, once there, and changing the model year in the address). Or at the bottom of the page, I believe you can change years.
See 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Color Options - CarsDirect
This opens up the "Color" page, showing all available colors and interior colors for all trim levels.
In that page, click on the Specs file tab. In the sub-file tabs (different trim levels and engines), click the "Replace This Style" and then in the pop-up uncheck the checked model levels and select yours.
On the page that opens, you will see your trim level with your engine listed, and it's just a matter of opening each heading and reading what came standard and what you have that is an option. Lots of other options by clicking into the different file tabs.

Could you have a Special Edition? Go here and click on the logo in the center of the top of the home page -
About the VW Beetle Special Editions | Home

I am in the process of reproducing many Owner's Manuals and related Booklets and Flyers or "Stuffers" as I call them. Many here do not have the Owner's Manual that originally came with their car, for one reason or another. :(

As I [illegally (lol)] reproduce this information, I am going to post OM information that every new owner needs while he/she searches for a replacement Owners Manual. Of course I do have a few available for sale ;), here!
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html
It is easier to post the link for a Newbie than to re-upload these everytime someone joins or asks. If you welcome a Newbie, and no one else has, why not post this the link to this thread in your welcoming message? :D

Because I can't change the order of the .pdf uploads without starting over every time I add to the list, you are just going to have to search down the list for what you are looking for.

Ultimately I hope to have the "Getting you started" stuffers, and the warning and indicator light explaination pages for every year and model. :)

If you don't find your year and model on here, check back often...

First up, is the Change of Address/Change of Ownership postcard, which can be completed and mailed to the address as shown. So terribly important to get notice of future recalls, and and any factory warranty extension information.
You can also go here, for the phone number to do this, AND acquire a "Birth Certficate" with the same call -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51866-birth-certificate.html#post752752

When you get off the phone with them, it would be a good idea to get on the web and check out your new New Beetle to make sure there are no open recalls -
VW Recall/Campaign VIN Lookup
http://owners.vw.com/vww/vw_service/recalls.html

Here's a fun and educational thread with information you may not find in your Owner's Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-experience/8499-secrets-new-beetle-part-deux.html

If you have a SAT (Sirius XM) Ready Radio Head, get 90 free Trial Subscription, go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/50722-free-3-months-siriusxm-sending-change-ownership-card.html#post741099

If you don't see your year or model, send me a p/m and I'll do it next if I have the original.

The are more .pdf files continued on the next post.

MORAV

If you have come here, and made use of one of these .pdf's, why not be kind enough to leave a comment, which

will bump it back up on the board for others to see!
************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More .pdf files

.pdf files continued...

NEXT UP - Understanding Your 1.8L Turbo Automatic Spoiler Operation, Post #3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Understanding Your 1.8L Turbo Automatic Spoiler Operation (thru MY 2001)

This is perhaps one of the most misunderstood accessories on your New Beetle 1.8L Turbo. The following addresses the Rear Spoiler for all 1.8LTurbos through the Model Year 2001.

The first image is a copy of the Insert, titled "New Beetle GLX Spoiler" that was put in all Owner's Manuals starting in the MY 2001. It should be noted that all information here applies to all prior years. Here you will find information about what a spoiler is and what they do, the auto functions in the different speed "zones", and why it lowers automatically. You should understand, that this is a functional spoiler, and it is not there for show.

The second image is a capture from the '01 NB Owner's Manual also explaining the operation of the spoiler. Please note on this page, the explaination of the power roof automatically being lowered if it is in the raised position and at what speed this occurs.

The third image is a capture from the same manual, showing the location of the instrument cluster indicator light location for the spoiler, and describing it's function. Please note, this light is related to the use of the switch for manually raising and lower the spoiler, and is not an indicator of it's being deployed automatically. It is also used to indicate a malfunction in the system.

The fourth image is a capture, also from the the same manual, to help you locate the switch used for manual operation.

Please know this is a service item that requires scheduled lubrication with a very specific VW lubricant. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by VWofA in this regard. When I find it, I will post it up.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
VIN Cards For All Model Years

Want to know what your VIN tells you (and your Insurance Co.) about your Bug!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post #1 Updated! .pdf files added in Post #2

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Morav,
Thanks for putin' in the extra time and stuff. Your a great asset to this forum.!
You Rock! :goodjob:
:) Thanks Buddy! Been busy and haven't been able to do much scanning lately! But I think there have been a fair amount of views to the .pdf's., so I'm sure one of them has helped someone! Just nobody knows they are here.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.pdf's added in Post #2

'01 NB; Quick Reference Guide
'01 NB; Quick Reference Guide - VW NB Sound System

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updated some information re Change in Ownership and obtaining "Birth Certificate" from VWofA

M. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've added a .pdf in Post #2, titled Identification Plates & Labels , locating all the, well indentification plates and labels for the NB & NBC, for the vehicle, vehicle data sticker (mini build sticker - this sticker has all the info for the vehicle), engine, and transmission. This should be useful for not just the Newbie, but the Old Bugger!
Click Here to Go There!
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html#post744093

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick Tips & Indicator & Warning Lights for 2000 NB added to Post #2

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
'03 NB .pdf's

Quick Reference Guide - Getting you started
Monsoon/Premium - Quick Reference Guide
Instrument Cluster - Indicator & Warning Lights

just posted up in Post #2

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I can tell it's going to be fun on here. I hope to get some pictures posted soon. And thanks for the Newbie Welcome Kit Morav. Lots of good info in there.
Barb
:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just added paint color and special edition links in Post #1

M.