NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As soon as my '02 Beetle hits 40mph there is a pronounced wind noise at both passenger door windows near the top. Is this common to the NB? Anyone else notice this? Seals look good.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
make sure the windows are alll the way up. I have manual windows, and sometimes they seem up.. but really have a bit of room left to move. If they are powered, they might be off track a little bit, the dealer can adjust those.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I have the same noise problem but just my drivers side. I have checked the manual windows many times...they are all the way up. No idea why the noise but it makes driving on the highway extremely annoying...and I do that pretty frequently for 2 hours at a time. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I do, but only if the sunroof is tilted. Is your car a turbo? If so, the spoiler deploying could also be factored in. It doesn't bother me, because I always have my stereo on. I guess I just never noticed.

I do, however, recall checking to see if my windows were all the way up, which they were. Oh well.....Now it's gonna bother me......... :crazy:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
No turbo here...its definately from the drivers side door up at the top corner...if you pull the door in while you drive, the noise stops and if you hold your hand up to where the noise is coming from you can feel air coming in. So is the problem with my car anyway...

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Havent tried it but I would think not...its definately from the door...thinking the seal on the door but it looks good...

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Is there any solution to that or do you just have to live with it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If there is a solution I would think it would be expensive but I can't say for sure. I normally have the windows down or music loud enough so I cannot hear it.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Thats what I thought but I hadn't really looked into it any

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey smileybug,

Looks like you and I are the only 2 bugs with window wind noise:D

I'm going to adjust the door latch *in* a bit and see what happens. It's very evident its from the window/seal area.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
They all do it

We test drove a used 2001 and it had noticeable and annoying wind noise on the pass. side. We ended up buying a 2006 from a dealer in another town and it has even more noise -- both sides.

I intend to try to stop up the leaks one of these days when it warms up, but in the meantime I'll try the window trick. Reminds me of my '64 bug. You could barely close the doors without opening the windows slightly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Door seal wind noise

Skoobahead, did adjusting the latches or strikers help? My 03 GL Turbo has pretty bad wind noise at the rear upper corners and it's definitely due to poor sealing. I'm almost at 50K miles so I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer to see if they can do anything. I realy don't want to have to open the window every time I close the door. That's just ridiculous. I've thought of adding some extra sealing at the corners with self-adhesive rubber or some other kind of stick on seal but I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts