VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum and not really sure on all forum politics etc so if I have this wrong I apologise. I have read through lots of really good info which I really appreciate but I am having a major pain with my wife's beetle and figured someone out there maybe able to help me figure the issue out. below is the email I have just sent to Ross-tech
Many Thanks Simon AKA Alfie (wife's name for car)

Hi there

I am hoping you maybe able to help with my issue.

My Wife has a modern Beetle and it has a fault in that it will intermittently lock all doors and set alarm system.

I have been all around the houses trying to find the issue. I have VCDS Lite and have read diganostics.

VCDS-Lite

Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator

Version: Release 1.2

Ross-Tech: Home

Workshop Code: 000 00000

Self-Diagnosis Log

Friday, 29 January 2016, 16:21:24:20006

VIN Number: WVWZZZ9CZ2M605310 License Plate:

Mileage: Repair Order:

Chassis Type: 9C - VW New Beetle

Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,25,26,29,35,37,39,46,54,56,65,75

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!

Controller: 06A 906 032 GM

Component: 2.0l 2V AGW 4095

Coding: 00001

Shop #: WSC 00066

VCID: 6F911E993E85

WVWZZZ9CZ2M605310 VWZ5Z0Z5261453

1 Fault Found:

16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold

P0420 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None

Controller: 1C0 907 379 E

Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0104

Coding: 0019458

Shop #: WSC 00323

VCID: 2C2BC995CF13

No Faults Found

or DTCs not supported by controller

or a communication error ocurred

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1C0-920-x4x.LBL

Controller: 1C0 920 920 C

Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 V07

Coding: 01412

Shop #: WSC 00000

VCID: 1D4D145184A9

WVWZZZ9CZ2M605310 VWZ5Z0Z5261453

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.LBL

VCDS-Lite

Self-Diagnosis Log

Friday, 29 January 2016, 16:21:24:20006

Page 2

VIN Number: WVWZZZ9CZ2M605310 License Plate:

Controller: 6N0 909 901

Component: Gateway K<->CAN V072

Coding: 00006

VCID: F0939DE5A3BB

No fault code found.

Address 25: Immobilizer Labels: None

Controller: Bit teA dre ssv

Component: e 17 eingeben

VCID: D0D33D6503FB

No Faults Found

or DTCs not supported by controller

or a communication error ocurred

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1C0-959-799.LBL

Controller: 1C0 959 799 F

Component: 2Q Komfortgerát HLO 0004

Coding: 00064

VCID: 3A07FFCD3547

2 Faults Found:

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

01359 - Internal Central Locking Switch; Passenger Side (E198)

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Address 56: Radio Labels: 1J0-035-18x-56.LBL

Controller: 1C0 035 186

Component: Radio BNO 0005

Coding: 00403

VCID: DBC9DA495A3D

No fault code found.

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent ages searching through google for answers. The common answer is that it will be something to do with the micro switches or solder points on door lock mechanism.

I therefore started with the passenger side mechanism. I didn't find any issues but replaced it anyway.

I have now had both door locks out and apart belled out all micro switches and solder points and all fine.

I have checked all fuses.

I have visually inspected the alarm horn and cabling,

the cabling to and from the CCM (including connection points by each door)

I have disconnected each door (1 at a time) and waited and found the car to still lock itself (ruling out modules and locks within doors).

I have had the alarm horn disconnected and the the car arms itself.

I have recoded The CCM with same coding.

I notice that it thinks there is only 1 remote control (key) but there are two which both work I have tried to update this to two but it won't let me?

When the fault first occurred a few weeks back I disconnected battery and held terminals together and then reconnected (seemed all good for a week)

This has actually happened first time probably a couple of years back and then a couple more times very sporadically we assumed it had been human error on these previous times.

It now happens a lot more often but obviously not sure of anything that could be triggering it.

I am left assuming it is a computer issue (CCM) but can not find anything on how I might be able to code a replacement unit or just test the unit I have.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated

and obviously if there is any vital info I have not given you let me know (I have tried to be detailed but also get to the point)

Many thanks

Simon

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Welcome Simon! I went ahead and moved your post to the problems and concerns forum since you'll most likely get more info from there. The micro switch can cause issues with the doors locking on their own or the alarm randomly going off. It seems though that you have a somewhat different issue than just that. Hopefully we can help you get this sorted out.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Please fill us in; on what New Beetle you have: year, model, engine and transmission. Update this info; in your personal profile, that way we can help you more intelligently in the future.

Well, you have a number of issues; here are the trouble code definitions from the Ross Tech Wiki:

16804/P0420/001056 - Ross-Tech Wiki

This is a common issue; you might try some testing and that can help you troubleshoot the problem, through a process of elimination.

Checking the fuel trim; is a good place to see how things are working, + or - 10% would indicate a problem and require more investigation.

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

Other tests; to check the catalyst, 02 sensors, etc.

VWVortex.com - VAG-COM procedures for testing the MAF, O2 sensors and catalytic converter

01134 - Ross-Tech Wiki

01359 - Ross-Tech Wiki

As for the ccm and door locks; this is a classic issue with as you know, switches and solder joints being an issue. More info here:

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

IF you have replaced them; please let us know, if you replaced them with genuine vw parts or inexpensive aftermarket reproduction parts. The aftermarket parts; have been known, to cause problems and prematurely fail or not work correctly, to begin with.

Assuming the locks are not the issue; I would be checking the parts to see if they are correct and inspecting the wiring harness. We are seeing; allot of cars that have been "hacked" with attempts to repair these types of problems with used parts that are incompatible; these could be harnessed or ccm's or regulators etc. Successful resolved threads with members on this site; have come down to: bad control modules, bad door lock modules, incorrect/incompatible parts/wiring or wiring harness, that have broken or compromised wires. The codes you are getting; especially the horn, would cause me to start checking the wiring and make sure there isn't any damage and use a multimeter to do continuity testing of the circuits.

If you do not have service manuals; check out these, which are free online:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic Thank you for a quick response. I will get the info on car up asap and start going through your suggestions. Thank You

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
p0420 code

before you go off replacing really expensive parts like the catalytic converter or oxygen sensors I would first run seafoam through the intake and see if that clears it up. I too was ready to replace my catalytic a few years back until I seafomed it and found out the system was just dirty. The Po420 code went away and has never come back, I seafoam mine annually now. why pay $200 for a new CAT when you can just pay $8 bucks for a can of seafoam. Good luck man.....welcome to the group.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Cheers

Sorry Guys I should have said that the cat issue I am not so worried about at this moment (although great info which will help me sort it out). Sadly I already replaced the Cat a while ago (am just telling myself that that was an issue) and the garage cleared it out with seafoam but then warning light came back and so I am on to testing the sensors but yeah didn't want to replace them if it is not necessary. I have left that until I get the current self alarming issue sorted.

The lock I replaced was a VW genuine part. Have sat and looked on VCDS checking all Micro switches through there and they are all good.
As I say I have disconnected each door at a time and it still sets locks and so I believe that the door panels are and locks are not at fault.
I have tested for continuity from alarm horn to CCM and the earth and they are good. There is a third cable however that I can't find where it goes?
I could not find any free manuals on the suggested website as they wanted my card details (which I'm not giving for something that is meant to be free and a website that had neg feedback on a site checker that I visited)

Cheers I will keep you updated as I go

(I have been delayed as some ***** smashed into my van over the weekend and so I have been sorting that)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts