VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car in March a beautiful 2003 1.8l Turbo Volkswagen New Beetle 92,600 miles, my dream car. However, since I have bought it I have been making non stop repairs. Since March I have had my turbo rebuilt, new oil pan and gas tank, alternator, accessory belt with tensioner and tensioner pulley along with my fuel pump, MAF sensor, break light switch, and right now I'm investing in a timing belt kit. However, the problem I'm having is ever since I replaced my fuel pump when I make left turns my car stalls out and just the battery light would come on (got the alternator replaced)it didn't do it all the time, I took it back they adjusted the fuel pump and it did ok for a while. Now I can't make left turns at all it does this sputtering and now instead of my battery light its my EPC and Traction control light and sometimes my check engine light will come on as well and I lose complete power. The strange thing is as soon as I turn my car off and back on my EPC and traction control light will turn off. I have taken my car to Volkswagen they felt so bad for me that they didn't even charge me for the diagnostic. In the midst of getting the money to pay for the timing belt kit and labor my check engine light is a weakly occurrence with 2-4 codes at a time, my dad has a code reader or else I would go broke getting every code read. Each time my car has a different code p0012,p0420 and some others I'll have to get from my dad (he keeps record of every code)they are all different. I have been told this problem could be my accelerator petal actuator sensor (something like that) but I'm confused because wouldn't it do the same for right turns? also if I put the car in reverse I can turn my steering wheel to the left and it moves fine. Please help me I'm spending about $800 this month on this car to get the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc. fixed and I need to be able to make left turns! I'm afraid this car is not only going to make me broke but kill me in the process.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear you are having so problems with your New Beetle. Most of us; have been where you are at and it is no fun but hopefully, you can get it to the point... where it is reliable. With the age and miles you have on the car; you are going to have to spend money on replacing a laundry list of parts, that are going to be worn out... from what you have listed, you are working your way down the list. :)

To try to help you with your problem; please get all the codes from your dad and please do a scan to see what codes are currently being thrown.

I would invest in a VW specific scanner; that way, you can get as much info as possible to try to figure out what is going on. On the cheap side the Vgate VS450 is $50 on amazon.com or the full factory level scan tool is VCDS from Ross Tech.

Here are some links; to what the codes you are listing mean with possible solutions, to the problems.

16396/P0012/000018 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16804/P0420/001056 - Ross-Tech Wiki

For the stalling issue; what brand of fuel pump did they replace the original one with; poor quality fuel pumps have been known to fail or not produce the correct amount of pressure right out of the box. I also, wonder if the purge valve or the speed sensor, is failing? I would test the fuel pump pressure and see, if that is in spec. What do you mean by "adjust" the fuel pump? Sounds like it could very well; be a fuel delivery problem. Why did you replace the fuel pump to begin with and what issues, were you having with the car, then?

Hang in there... get us those codes; get a vw code reader if you don't have one and we will do our best to help! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did a search of newbeetle.org and vwvortex. The only thing I could come up with were these threads:
VWVortex.com - left turn stalling 1.8 t

Passat Stalling when coming to a stop / slowing down

Unfortunately, the original posters didn't say what fixed the problem, but it may give you some ideas to check out. Best thing is to post some codes, like billymade says. It doesn't seem like a common problem on the forums.

Also, look at this thread, post #12. Someone had a wire shorting intermittently on the crank position sensor. But notice that person had a VCDS scanner and used it for troubleshooting, and it took a few months to figure out.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42-volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/333047-stalls-corners.html

Also, does this happen during low speed or high speed left turns? Does it happen while the car is not moving and you turn the steering wheel to the left? It wasn't clear from your original post. I'm thinking that this info may help to narrow down the problem.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If you think the stalling is "Left Turn" specific, wow that is unusual, off the top of my head ...

1) Ignition Switch
2) Power Steering Pump
3) Motor Mounts (momentum torque), motor pitches to much during a left hand turn pulling a connector loose
4) Loose wire harness and grounding connectors in the engine bay

·
Registered
45 Posts
A way to check if it is one of the connectors or hoses is to have the car idling, and then wiggle the connectors and hoses one at a time. Make sure not to get your hand tangled with any of the moving parts while doing this. (I actually figured out an intermittent air conditioning issue by doing this. It turned out to be a bad connection to the AC pressure sensor.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is probably the G28 engine speed sensor, which is not terribly expensive.

It could be something else but is sounds like it is behaving when the sensor fails.

Sounds like you should have had a PPI done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts