NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a 03 beetle. I recently got stopped for my taillight being out while driving at night. I replaced both the blinker and the brake light bulbs and made sure to check and see that they are both working. When i use my blinker, or when i brake the lights both work and come on. However at night when I am driving with my headlights on the drivers side taillight appears to be burnt out. If i turn, or brake both of the bulbs are working...Why is this happening! I have read a little bit online about a brake pedal sensor but am not sure if that is the issue i am having. If you can please help! Thank you sooo so much!
Calli

·
Registered
153 Posts
There could be a number of issues here but the most common is fitting an incorrect bulb, fitting a correct bulb incorrectly or you have a short in the unit.

Most common is fitting a single filament bulb into a duel filament unit or a duel filament bulb fitted the wrong way around, I have seen this many times.

Duel filament bulbs aka Stop and Tail have two locating pins the same as the others but one is set slightly higher than the other, the fitting on the unit is the same with one socket higher than the other. The idea is that the bulb will only fit one way but in reality it will fit both ways, I have seen this many times and it looks like one stop light is always on and when you brake the side light come on.

If as I understand your post the side light will not work until you blink and/or brake. I would start with the bulb and work back from there, if not the bulb it will be a housing/cable fault. One common fault in auto electrics is a bad earth, this is normally seen when signal and brake is used and all lights flash, not just the blinker.

p.s If one or both stop lights work, it is certainly not the BP Switch

·
Registered
153 Posts
@ Apiseed .. Love the logo .. VW Beetle Excellent :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts