VW Beetle Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run Penzoil synchromesh in all of my VW’s manual transmissions. I tried the valvoline and wasn’t as happy as with the Penzoil, and I’m a valvoline guy from way back.

I had been using OEM vw transmission oil but I was getting a notchy 1st to 2nd shift with a little grinding that was driving me crazy. I was about ready to look for a transmission when I thought I’ll try one last time and changed to the Penzoil and no more notchy grinding 1st to 2nd shift.

I would change the entire transmission oil, don’t just top off. It takes almost exactly 2 quarts, and as I pointed out earlier I keep the front slightly elevated when I fill so I can do a slight overfill. Better to much oil as opposed to not enough leaving that 5th gear high and dry.

Two quarts of Penzoil synchromesh at my local Napa is about $20 plus tax. $9.99 per quart vs about $20 per quart for oem fluid.
i only have 2 quarts, i will drain whatever is in there, add both quarts, then maybe get another to top it off? I guess we will see shortly i will be on this

·
Registered
78 Posts
It looks like I need one of these and trying to figure out other one and then i will do it level
Cylinder Head Bolt Tool: 10mm 6pt

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
2 quarts should do it for the transmission if you fill it level you will probably not get both in, by elevating the front you can usually get almost two full quarts in the transmission.

You shouldn’t need a third.

The Diesel engines do not have 6 point (torx) head bolts, they have 12 point xzn or triple square whichever you want to call them. I would assume the gas engines have the same head bolts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2 quarts should do it for the transmission if you fill it level you will probably not get both in, by elevating the front you can usually get almost two full quarts in the transmission.

You shouldn’t need a third.

The Diesel engines do not have 6 point (torx) head bolts, they have 12 point xzn or triple square whichever you want to call them. I would assume the gas engines have the same head bolts.
I did remove the shift box and replace it, as well as install sigma short shifter so I may be incompetent but not worthless......

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did remove the shift box and replace it, as well as install sigma short shifter so I may be incompetent but not worthless...... View attachment 252832
Can't remove, or at least couldn't yesterday seems like my t25 is not right. Kinda annoyed manual doesn't say what tools to use. Think I gonna bite bullet and see if valvoline can do for me after work today

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That picture looks like a triple square or spline bit, metalnerd has some good quality tools for vw’s at fairly decent prices. What does that bolt go to?

I looked a little further and it does looks like some gas engines do have 6 point head bolts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That picture looks like a triple square or spline bit, metalnerd has some good quality tools for vw’s at fairly decent prices. What does that bolt go to?

I looked a little further and it does looks like some gas engines do have 6 point head bolts.
brotherman, these would for sure work. VW/Audi Tools - Sockets, Drivers and Bits - Kit1 Part MN10PC - 10 PC Triple Square Bit Set in Blow-Molded Case M4-M18
wow, thank you, tough pill to swallow i do not want to wait!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
thats the fill hole for trans fluid
[/QUOTE

Hmmm, all of the VW drain and fill plugs I'm familiar with have a 17mm recessed plug. Like one of the 17mm lug nuts, which can be used in a pinch to open those plugs.
Like this.

This is an MK5 correct? They must have made some changes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mk6 but thank you because on the way to shop and was going to get 14 and 16 mm Carlyle socket certainly adding in 17mm now

·
Registered
15,100 Posts
Did you figure out; which one you needed? I've found CTA brand sockets; at my local Pep Boys auto parts stores but I don't know, if you guys have that brand out there? I'm pretty sure, I may; have seen that VW trans sockets, at my local Autozone but I don't' remember what brand it was?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you figure out; which one you needed? I've found CTA brand sockets; at my local Pep Boys auto parts stores but I don't know, if you guys have that brand out there? I'm pretty sure, I may; have seen that VW trans sockets, at my local Autozone but I don't' remember what brand it was?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,100 Posts

Triple Square/XZN sockets; are pretty much sold, at most auto parts stores these days but some of the VW trans plugs, require, the version with a hole in it, AKA: Security: XZN sockets.

·
Registered
78 Posts
View attachment 252842
Triple Square/XZN sockets; are pretty much sold, at most auto parts stores these days but some of the VW trans plugs, require, the version with a hole in it, AKA: Security: XZN sockets.
Looks like I do not need xzn but I do need m7 size I guess as today's arrival of Triple Square/XZN sockets have m6 and m8 which are too big and too small respectively

161 - 179 of 179 Posts