NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here it is. I went to try and adjust my timing of my fuel pump the other day. The experts younger brother was the only one who could work on it. We ended up adjusting the timing which looked to be a bit advanced. Needless to say it three hours with many trys to adjust it with parameters outside of the graph on the vcds. We where adjusting the timing not the fuel pump which is what I heard should be done. I was told this was how to adjust it. Well we got it tuned in and the car seemed to run fine. Even slightly better. About 30 miles later though some thing happened. I lost power though i lost it after coming down a rather large mountain in Guatemala using third gear at 3000 rpms to slow me down so I would not burn out the brakes. After I went to a old city with cobble stone streets for a few miles and shut the car off. When returning home I went over one speed bump and just a tiny scrap. Upon accelerating I noticed black exhaust for a few seconds. The highway had just started and I noticed I had no pick up though no check engine lights are on.

Can using the engine compression to maintain speed cause an issue?
Could the belt have loosed with the cobble stone?

I live in Guatemala about a mile up almost and it is 70 to 80 every day. My injection torsion value was reading 1.4 with the timing adjusted to right above the line, though I am not sure my engine was up to temp at that point though we did let it run periodically. I would imagine that my torsion value (range 1.1 to 4.5) should be set around 4 with the altitude and heat. The timing was advanced to about 70 percent of the way of the graph on the vcds reading to begin with. Could it be that I am just running to rich? I had to start on a hill and the only reason I did not stale is I road the clutch for a few seconds with the pedal far down.

Any help would be appreciated. I found a place that sells a cable though can I see what is up with vcds lite?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will give them a try though last time I ran into a bunch of insecure arrogant people who were just trying to cause problems. If anyone on this forum could help me I would much rather prefer talking with intelligent folks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
First, how were you actually changing the timing? I'm a bit confused on this, as you said you weren't messing with the pump, but the graph for timing is the injection pump timing. Also, is this car the 2001 listed in your profile? If so, there is no torsion value as far as I'm aware for the ALH TDI, which is what the '01 would have. You would be adjusting the injection quantity on this. I'm pretty sure the torsion value is for the PD engines, which are '04 and later.

Have you had the car scanned for codes since this all happened?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not have a computer so I brought it some where. When they adjusted the timing they used a 18mm wrentch and adjusted the wheel for the fuel pump it seems with the 3 13mm screws. The injection value I am refering to was the 4th box in from the left with all the reading after hitting "go" and just prior to pulling up the chart. I have not scanned the codes yet and do not want to start the car. The belt is loose. Could starting the car and running it out of the chart hurt the tension spring? any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get a computer here to run the codes though have not yet. Any advice? Thank you

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Wait, so your timing belt is lose?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Then you have bigger problems. A lose belt can mean engine damage. When did you last have the timing belt changed?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not had the car long and do not know if it has been changed. It was tight three days ago when they adjusted it. The guy did not know what he was doing so much and instead of moving it a mm or so it was way outside of the graph both ways before it was tuned in. A couple times it was so far out it would not start to check. The car has 70000 miles on it. Could starting it out of time both ways put strain on the tension spring and wear it out to the point of getting loose?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
The timing adjustment should be for the injection pump, not the belt timing. But if he had no clue what he was doing and loosened a bolt he shouldn't have, that could have caused the belt problem. Mileage aside, if you don't know when the belt was done, it needs it ASAP. It's got 12 years on things, which isn't good. But if its loose and you ran it like that, it likely had some valve-piston contact.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much. He did turn the 18mm bolt quite alot. Would the contact be heard. I sounded like it was running alright though no power. No strange noises. What am I looking at if there was value piston contact? Would it throw codes?

Thank you so much again I greatly appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help me out. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Probably no codes. But a lose belt isn't good. You need to get the car somewhere that knows what they are doing to go over things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the problem here. The dealership has the equipment I need though refuses to work on my car because I did not buy it from them. It is very difficult to find a vw mechanic here with the proper vcds equiptment. Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check the timing belt tensioner. Timing belts are to be very tight......apparently your belt has jumped some teeth causing problems....hopefully no damage has resulted in the valves, etc.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
The problem with TDIs is that any slack in the belt or jumped time usually results in at least damaged valves. And the big issue there is even if things *appear* to be ok, valve stems can still be damaged. Throw a belt on and a few thousand miles later, the stem gives out and you drop a valve, causing even more damage. I wouldn't go just putting a belt on without pulling the head to inspect things.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The belt was loose. I started it and it tightened up though I am not thinking this is quality. Thank you for your input some one is coming by tomorrow to help me out with it. I got my fingers crossed though dont think it is good.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
It shouldn't be coming lose at all. Tensioner sounds like it could have failed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much. It looks like I need to get the timing kit then. How long would it take to pull the head off with this model? Would I only need a head gasket granted everything with the values is okay?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Its hard to know if the valves are ok. Often they look fine, but the valve stems are cracked and compromised, something you can't see. You don't want to lose a valve later. I know you are sort of opposed, but I really would post to TDIClub. They can give you a lot better advice. This is a pretty slow moving section of this forum, and I've never pulled a head on a TDI.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you again my friend you have been a tremendous help to me. I truly appreciate this more then you know. I signed up for an account on tdiforum and will ask them there about what you have taught me. Best wishes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts