NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car set over winter. Manual tranny. Everything works. Emergency flashers come on when key is turned on. No start. Replaced ignition switch. Nothing. Bridged over starter and it cranks fine. haven't gotten to testing power to starter. Read Red99's posts on relays but can't determine which one is #3 & #4 or which pins they are talking about. Anyone have more detail about the relay tests?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Check your starter if it’s old and you’re in the salt belt that short thick braided copper wire that leads from the solenoid to the starter body itself turns to copper dust.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I read that you did that, and it will work if you touch a hot wire to the tab that comes out of the starter body, however will it start if you touch the same wire to the solenoid where that thick copper wire I’m talking about connects to?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it cranks. Did another hard reset and kept the windows down. Lot of moisture in the cab. Either the reset, the drying out of the interior, or the thing fixed itself. Lol. It's now starting on its own.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Glad it’s working , lots of moisture is often a leak from somewhere, sunroof with plugged drains, heater core with antifreeze smell, or convertible top, I even had a windshield leaking one time because of the seal deterioriating.

Try opening everything up on a hot sunny day and letting it dry out completely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts