VW Beetle Forum banner

No crank no start? 2004 beetle turbo1.8L

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 turbo beetle. 1.8L

•what happens when cranking?
i hear a loud continuous whirring sound or winding sound like starter might be spinning ?

•What have I done?
new starter
New starter relay
New battery
Fuel pump is working and is fine

only one engine code is for cam position sensor bank 1. But thatas far as I’m aware shouldn’t deter it from cranking

•eztra Info
Automatic transmission
Purchased used as is for 300 dollars in this condition already
Vin is clean with no reports on it
All fluids are topped off

Any tips or where to go from here

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post the code number you are getting? Cam sensors can cause issues with the car starting so I may start there.

#3 ·
A continuous whirring is often a starter that is not engaging the flywheel. I assume that it made the same noise before and after you replaced the starter?

A whirring starter can be caused by two things I can think of.

1, a junk starter, parts store starters are often just rebuilt junk with a lifetime replacement warranty. ( they give you a new one until you get a good one or until you go away).

2. Some of your flywheel teeth are missing.

Try moving the car, by pushing it a few feet and attempt to start it again. There should also be a rubber inspection plug at the top of the bell housing. Pull that and inspect what you can see of the flywheel or pull the starter and look at the teeth that it is trying to engage with.

#4 ·
A continuous whirring is often a starter that is not engaging the flywheel. I assume that it made the same noise before and after you replaced the starter?

A whirring starter can be caused by two things I can think of.

1, a junk starter, parts store starters are often just rebuilt junk with a lifetime replacement warranty. ( they give you a new one until you get a good one or until you go away).

2. Some of your flywheel teeth are missing.

Try moving the car, by pushing it a few feet and attempt to start it again. There should also be a rubber inspection plug at the top of the bell housing. Pull that and inspect what you can see of the flywheel or pull the starter and look at the teeth that it is trying to engage with.
Update: I replaced the sensor that was causing the issue and it’s still making the noise and yes it was making the noise before and after. I got an OEM part so it should be good.

I turned the engine by hand and tried again. And moved the car same problem. I looked into inspection window when installing new starter and teeth seemed fine.
I’m wondering on how to check the wiring maybe the solenoid is not getting any power too it but the starter is ?

#7 ·
What was "fixed"; did you confirm you installed the correct starter? What was the brand and part #; of the new starter?

Get a phone video; that shows and clearly indicated the sound issue (posting to youtube is easy; then post link here)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
This is what came up on the usa bosch parts site:

Part Number:
SR0424X
This part compatible with:
2004 Volkswagen Beetle L4 1.8L
Change Vehicle
Condition New Remanufactured: Remanufactured
Mounting Bolt Hole Quantity: 3
Mounting Shims Included: No
Nose Cone Material: Aluminum
Nose Cone Type: Closed Nose
Number of Teeth: 9
Original Equipment Manufacturer Names: BO
Power Rating: 1.1
Solenoid Attached: Yes
Starter Finish: Aluminum
Starter Rotation: Counterclockwise
Voltage (Alternator): 12

#10 ·
Ok so let me break down some info I gathered again.

by fixed I meant the crankshaft position sensor has been fixed with the new part car still making a winning sound as in the alternator spinning but not activating with engine or engaging teeth on automatic trans.

I checked the ground, 12V power, and 12V signal... all are working. . . I also bench-tested the starter its both extending and spinning both the Old and the New starter

here is where it got interesting Sooo I got my part from the part number off the old starter. Both starters are making the same noise and issue. I went ahead and looked at your link using my VIN and it pulled SR0425N which is a different part than what is installed and what I pulled off the car in the first place. But the piece is USED. So maybe someone installed the wrong OEM part from a junkyard because it's a VW part that I originally pulled out. Hope that makes sense. and maybe I should try this new starter instead? I bought this car used in this winning condition for a few hundred bucks to throw that in there for context

The part that was found in the car and the new one has the same issue:
Part: bosch: 0 001 121 022
OEM: 02M 911 023

The part that was on your link using my VIN
Part: SR0425N
or 0 001 121 026

#11 ·
The auto transmission and the manual transmission for the same vehicle require different starters. It’s possible you have the “right” starter but not for the transmission that you have.

I looked back and see in your description that you have an automatic. If I recall the automatic starter has a longer nose than the manual starter.

#12 ·
Definitely, sounds like you have the wrong starter installed? Getting the correct starter by your vin #; hopefully, will positively, get you the correct one?

#13 ·
Definitely, sounds like you have the wrong starter installed? Getting the correct starter by your vin #; hopefully, will positively, get you the correct one?

Going to order one today and I guess try it out I’ll come back with an update after it’s installed I gusss we shall see

#15 · (Edited)
VW has their own part numbers and Bosch has theirs; doesn't necessarily mean they are a different start motor.

Although, one would err on the side of vw, being correct; unless, some sort of parts like a trans or engine was cannibalized, from a different year VW, at some point?

Once you get the vw part #; you can cross reference the # with a Bosch starter or call Bosch tech line for help, confirm the correct part, that will be right for your car.

Contact Us
888 715 3616
IN NORTH AMERICA
8AM - 5PM CST MON-FRI

#17 ·
Did you search the Bosch parts site by VIN #?

You can search the vw parts site by VIN # as well.

Yes Bosch search by vin number gives me a different Bosch part number than the number I get from VW search by vin number. Def 100 percent two different starters I get from each place searching by the same vin

#18 ·
did you order or confirm the right starter with Bosch catalog or tech support? Buying the starter from Bosch; would be cheaper, then from VW and from what I have seen, are the exact same part, as Bosch is the oem for VW.

#22 · (Edited)
What is the history of the car? When did it run last and did anything happen; that might have caused, this no start issue?

Did you do: a FULL auto scan for trouble codes? IF the battery went dead or had been disconnected, for awhile, you might have lost your throttle body settings, in that case, do a throttle body alignment procedure.

After doing that; the, try to start the engine again, if nothing, then try testing/checking the basics: compression, fuel pressure and ignition spark.

#23 ·
You might check your timing belt is not damaged; confirm, the timing marks are in phase.

Compression testing:

Fuel pressure testing:

Ignition coils:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.