VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been back as everything has been going great on my vehicle. I have a 2000 Beetle 2.0L AEG with a manual transmission (154k). Car has been running perfectly, in fact changed the oil again a few weeks ago. But last week, I go to start her up and nothing! No cranking at all... no start... no sound at all. No clicking... but I did notice when I opened the door I did hear the fuel pump prime.

All the dash lights work when the key is turned. Power Windows go up and down, Door Locks work and remote locking works. Headlights are nice and bright and it even has a New 12v Battery which is fully charged. OBD is reading NO CODES.

I disconnected the clutch lock out switch near the pedal and stuck a paper clip in the connector to complete the circuit... not sure how to test that switch?

I checked all the fuses and none are blown. I have no idea why there is no power. I've had starter motors and starter solenoids go in the past and I tapped it a few times with a hammer and nothing?

Does anyone have any ideas? I checked the relays and they seem to be fine. #53 #53 horns, #100 Secondary Injection Pump, #409 Fuel Pump and #173 Daytime Running Lights. Are there any more and if so where are they located? :confused:

So frustrating...:mad:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the ignition switch was a thought but would all the lights and dash lights still work fine? Is there an easy to ay to test the ignition switch without tearing everything apart?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.k.,in fact I thought I smelled a burning smell when it happened which could very well be a fried ignition wire. I'll place an order for a new switch now that you've provided links. Thank you... I'll post the results when completed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had similar problem due to either ground wire from battery to tranny or wire to starter. Has car been sitting or wiring worked on when battery changed?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car has not been sitting... It's my daily driver. Checked ground and wiring to starter. Everything seems to be in order.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K. Replaced the ignition switch today and nothing... same condition, no crank, no start, no clicks but Fuel Pump is priming. Does anyone know exactly which numbered RELAY is for the STARTER?:confused:

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you have no power at the starter, red99 posted a link ("new and ongoing issues") which lists the two relays that make up the circuit from the ignition switch to the starter.

If the starter is getting power (12+ volts) but it's not turning over you might just have a bad starter. If this is the case, I'd pull the starter from the car and have a parts store bench test it. If it tests "good", I'd have them run the test a couple more times "just to be sure". When reinstalling a known good starter, make sure all connections are clean and the wire(s) going to the starter aren't damaged in some way (e.g. insulation peeling off and wires/connection corroded).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Everyone... PROBLEM SOLVED. Relays all checked out and also all fuses. The problem was a bad starter itself. I really couldn't find any good info in my Haynes or on a few forums about the procedure on a 2.0L. My biggest problem was actually locating all of the bolts that hold the starter on and EXACTLY WHERE I COULD FIND THEM. (LAST PIC) There is a small nut that holds the LARGE BLACK PLASTIC CABLE HARNESS on to the long Starter Bolt and if you don't remove the PLASTIC HARNESS then chances are you'll never see it! (the L-shaped piece of the metal bracket hides the bolt behind it) Anyways, I will post pics of what I found and hopefully they will be helpful to someone trying to remove the STARTING MOTOR from a 2.0L BEETLE. Also, I removed the (2) long bolts from the bad starting motor itself to remove the entire outside can to get a better grip on removing the bad starting motor. Not a heck of a lot of wiggle room there! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Very tight and odd bolt/nut setup, huh!?! I was confused the first time I removed mine; once, I got the battery tray out of the way, it was easier to see what was going on. I have been happy with genuine Bosch rebuilt/new starters; they are a excellent quality for the price. Seeing how Bosch made them for VW; I have found them to be a high quality replacement starter. They are not the cheapest but if you want quality and not do it over later, go with oem Bosch.

Look up the correct one; for your car, here:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Everyone... PROBLEM SOLVED. Relays all checked out and also all fuses. The problem was a bad starter itself. I really couldn't find any good info in my Haynes or on a few forums about the procedure on a 2.0L. My biggest problem was actually locating all of the bolts that hold the starter on and EXACTLY WHERE I COULD FIND THEM. (LAST PIC) There is a small nut that holds the LARGE BLACK PLASTIC CABLE HARNESS on to the long Starter Bolt and if you don't remove the PLASTIC HARNESS then chances are you'll never see it! (the L-shaped piece of the metal bracket hides the bolt behind it) Anyways, I will post pics of what I found and hopefully they will be helpful to someone trying to remove the STARTING MOTOR from a 2.0L BEETLE. Also, I removed the (2) long bolts from the bad starting motor itself to remove the entire outside can to get a better grip on removing the bad starting motor. Not a heck of a lot of wiggle room there! :)
Hi There, i know this post was from a few years ago, but I am having the same problem with my daughters beetle. It was sitting for a while (few months) then it had a tough time starting, so i added new gas, and it started so i let it run for an hour or so. I shut it off, and now nothing. Did yours do anything? All electrical seems to work, alarm, radio, door locks. But nothing when i try to start.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What year? What transmission? What engine? Did you check those relays? Have you visually inspected the starter? Up north in the salt belt that thick copper wire between the solenoid and the starter body turns to copper dust. You can rebuild the starter but most people just replace the whole starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What year? What transmission? What engine? Did you check those relays? Have you visually inspected the starter? Up north in the salt belt that thick copper wire between the solenoid and the starter body turns to copper dust. You can rebuild the starter but most people just replace the whole starter.
2002 Automatic 2.0L. Getting it towed to my friends place to take a looksee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts