VW Beetle Forum banner

No Cruise, No Washer Fluid. Can't know how.

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mike03 
#1 ·
Lots of lil thing break on this car but two things I would like to get fixed....

I have no cruise control and with all the salt on the road, I have no washer fluid.

CC - I just had the brake switch replaced at the dealer.

WF - It is full, I hear no sound when when pulled.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, Marcus.

A few questions:

What year is your New Beetle? Since you posted here I assume you have the 2.0 engine.

Did the cruise control problems happen before the brake light switch was replaced?

Have you listened for the washer fluid pump with the hood open and your head near the washer fluid bottle, or just from inside the car?

#3 ·
Thanks for your response!

It is 1999. 5 Speed.

I had NO brake lights and had the switch replaced at the dealer for $0. :)

Cruise was not working before switch was replaced. I had read and was hoping getting the switch replaced would be a fix. No Go.

WF - Just inside the car, hood closed. I did not hear anything.

#4 ·
For the cruise control, if the battery has been run down or disconnected for a length of time then a "throttle body alignment" must be done before the cruise will work again. Do this by turning the key to the "run" position without starting the car. Leave it there for 30 seconds and then switch if off again.

On the washer pump, the same fuse is used for both the washer and wipers so it looks like a fuse is not the problem. Try listening closer to the washer bottle while someone works the washer switch. I don't think the engine will need to be running to do this. Also, how long has it not been working? Any chance that the problem is frozen water in the lines?

#5 ·
These washer pumps do die, do not buy an expensive one from the dealer, get a cheaper one from Amazon or even your local auto parts store.

These are the same style of pumps BMW's use as well.

More often than not the shaft seals leak, but sometimes when the shaft seals leak the pump can sieze.

Assume the early cars are like my 2003, a PITA to access the pump, behind the passenger side head light and you may need to remove some screws from the inner fender well as I recall?

#7 ·
The washer fluid pump may not be the problem. We still haven't eliminated:

1. The pump runs but the hose is plugged.
2. The pump doesn't run and the switch or wiring is bad.

The next step in diagnosis (assuming that 1. is eliminated) would be to use a test light or voltmeter to check for voltage at the pump connector with the switch activated to eliminate 2.

If it does turn out to be the pump it looks like Advance Auto Parts carries an exact replacement.

#8 ·
The cruise control is operated by the Engine Control Module (ECM). I would suggest you get a factory level scan tool, like VCDS, so you can view the switch conditions for the cruise control in Measure Value Block group 066 in the ECM.

I don't think the AEG ECM is the kind where the cruise can be enables/disables by a login code.

#9 ·
washer pump

I just replaced the washer pump. Remove passenger wheel and the screws in the front half of the wheel well, so you can pull the flap half out. The pump electrical connection is on the back side and a pain. Use a bucket to drain the pump as you pull the pump out. You can test it with a couple of jumpers leads up by the battery. If the pump tests good, that
would be wireing problems much harder to find. Hope it tests bad...........:p............good. About $23 at Advance auto.

#10 ·
I just replaced the washer pump. Remove passenger wheel and the screws in the front half of the wheel well, so you can pull the flap half out. The pump electrical connection is on the back side and a pain. Use a bucket to drain the pump as you pull the pump out. You can test it with a couple of jumpers leads up by the battery. If the pump tests good, that
would be wireing problems much harder to find. Hope it tests bad...........:p............good. About $23 at Advance auto.
Okay, I am confused. So you say you DID replace the washer pump? So does your Washer Fluid work now? Why do you need to test the old pump to see if it was bad. Couldn't you just try the newly installed pump to see if it works?? :confused:
What am I missing here.??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.