VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1999 2.0 gl 5 speed bug and was changing the dome lights to LEDs. Got the mirror light and drivers side dome light changed and when I changed the passenger side dome light all the dome lights went dim. I went to start the car but it would not crank and now all the dome lights are out. Changed the battery and nothing. Checked all fuses on the side of the dash and relays under dash. Checked the fuses above the battery and everything checked out ok. Can hear the fuel pump run and the starter relay click but no clicking from the starter. Doors still lock and the lights on the side of the doors still work. Any help?

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
Hmm, that is a strange situation; I would remove, any new bulbs you installed and start checking the basics. Obviously, adequate battery voltage is required; assuming, that is ok with a new battery?

When, turning the engine over; does the starter, spin at all? If not, you might check for power @ the starter and see, if you can jump power to the starter, see if it turns over. If with power, the starter won't move; then, you might pull the starter and have it tested. If it turns over; you might check the starter relay and ignition/starter switch, these have been known, to fail and kill the power to starter.

More info here:

starter relay location:

starter replacement;

It maybe related to your "bulb upgrades"; on the other hand, you never know, it could have been coincidence and something unrelated, is the problem.

Do some testing, of the basics; report back and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
I know I've seen some LEDs cause issues. I would switch back to regular bulbs and see if that fixes things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New update. Fuse #14 for dome lights was popped. Changed it out and everything works now. Thank you for the help and time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is bizarre! I'm glad you tracked down the problem; so, did your led bulb upgrade work out or did you go back to the stock bulbs?
I havent tried yet. Im assuming it would still work. Thinking back I might have jumped contacts when pulling the old bulbs out because I left them on to make sure I put the new LEDs in the right way

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
OH, that makes sense; if you end up having issues, this company sells LED light upgrade kits. They guarantee they have been tested with VW's and work correctly. I haven't used them but buying bulbs, that are guaranteed to work and tested by them, confirmed, makes sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH, that makes sense; if you end up having issues, this company sells LED light upgrade kits. They guarantee they have been tested with VW's and work correctly. I haven't used them but buying bulbs, that are guaranteed to work and tested by them, confirmed, makes sense.

I put the LEDs back in with the power off and then turn them on to test and everything is working out perfectly. Was just a mishap on my end and me not looking everything over carefully

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
Glad things are back to "normal", you figured things out and your led "upgrades" are now working!

Care to share, any info; about your LED's, what brand they are, which lights you replaced, their cost and where you got them? Thanks! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts