VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home today I crossed an apparent broken main..(highway, no warning.. Just water) ... Then the engine bogged... And died... I waited a bit and started it up.. It's running really rough, backfiring, engine is loud (like muffler is gone or valves opening too soon and combustion in exhaust manifold... No engine lights... No check lights... No indicators of what's happening... Could the timing belt have slipped? Help... My family is in a situation here! I need this bug to take me to work.... 2001 vw beetle 2.0 manual trans...

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
my guess would be water got in the coil packs and they are shorting out. I would start there. But thats me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Coil could have gotten wet if the water splashed up that far. I would have a look, check for cracks. My coil terminals were in bad shape, it's a easy job, watch when you pull the plug wires, twist first.

·
Registered
104 Posts
CRACKS...your checking for cracks in the black plastic, the casing and no, you wouldn't get a check engine light. I believe if you would search this topic, all of your questions would be answered, it is very common.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Besides an ignition problem, the other possibility is that the engine ingested water through the intake. This can be very, very bad for the engine. If your engine is truly backfiring, I'd take it to a shop for a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

It was the coil pack... I'm sure I need a new one... But I'm completely broke... So coil pack moves to the top of the "to-do" list... However it dried out... Runs fine for now... And when it was backfiring it had blown the exhaust apart before the first muffler... (I never owned a car that didn't have a solid welded exhaust system) re attached the pipe... Tightened down the bolt.. And now it's actually quieter than it was before.... So... In the immediate future I need a new coil pack, and a new accessorie belt tensioner "squeek,squeek,squeek,squeek", some rubber mounts for that blower in front of the coil pack, (previous owners broke it out and just zip-tied it back in), probably could use a new (and a extra spare) break light switch... And eventually wheel berings and for $hits and grins a timing belt kit with water pump and tensioner... Oh... And maybe then I can figure out why my damn fuel gage doesn't work, and fix that annoying seatbelt light that stares at me because of the ****ty plug under the seat...

But before all that... I got 4 kids to finish Christmas shopping for and groceries to buy...

Guess it will have to wait...

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm glad it was the coil. Much cheaper than replacing bent metal in the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts