VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sitting idling in a parking lot today, my 2002's coolant temp light started flashing red. I checked the coolant, and it is full.

Thinking it could be the fan relay #53?! it has been making noises the last couple weeks, but back in November, his radiator fans would come on as soon as he is started, and now I have no fans...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
flashing light

flashing light just means low on coolant in the reservoir tank level switch. You might have to replace that Reservoir tank.

What relay 53? The fans come on in low speed via the temperature sensor on the coolant flange by the firewall or the temperature sensor mounted bottom left of radiator or via the FCM when you turn the A/C on. The 2nd speed come on via the temperature sensor mounted on the radiator bottom left sending a signal to the cpu via the FCM and it sends 12v back to turn on fans. The third speed (which is really A/C thermal cut-out switch) puts both fans in high speed via the temperature sensor mounted front left of vehicle, next to the radiator on a "Y" hose connection and it controls a relay in the auxiliary panel, position #13 I believe. IS that the relay you are talking about? Double and triple check your fuses on top of the battery with an ohm meter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts