NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving yesterday i noticed my turn signals weren't working, and when I stopped I also noticed no headlights, fogs and A/C. The highbeams work only if i'm pulling back on the lever and holding it.. Checked fuses and everything there is fine. Anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the stealership?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm racking my brains and the only thing I can come up with is a blown fuse or 2. The fuses can be difficult to verify. I had to take them out one by one (after making a map of what was supposed to be where) and checked them with a flash light. Turned out that a fuse I thought was fine was actually blown when I checked it with a flashlight. Mine was for headlights/fogs. The A/C should be a separate fuse.

Post when you find out what it is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have looked at the wiring schematics for the Beetle and the one common factor for all the electric devices that did not work properly is the ignition switch. When you use the turn signal "flash" position, the power source is not thru the ignition switch, but is directly from a fuse on top of the battery. The headlights, fogs, and the A/C clutch are powered thru the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't drive it at all yesterday b/c it was getting dark when it happened, but I drove it during the day today and after less than 15 minutes everything worked again.. I read somewhere that this happened to someone else and everything went back to normal the next day and he never had any problems with it after. I did check all the fuses a couple of times and i also checked the ones ontop of the battery just in case.. who knows.. I want to have it looked at anyway, the last thing I need is for my headlights to stop working in the middle of one of my overnight drives to my girlfriend's house.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Sounds like the comfort controls relay or the ignition switch. Search the old org forums for the locations...or perhaps someone will chime in and tell you which one is correct. I think there was a thread entitled "relays that can cause your beetle to fail" or something like that.

·
Its Cute
2 Posts
Ignition Switch

Sounds like the ignition switch to mee too. My beetle did the same thing. Had dealer replace, but wish I had done it myself. Dealer charged $277.71 ( $63.93 for the part, $180.00 labor plus shop fees?! ). It was part # 4BO-905-849 ( Mine is a 98 ), and as long as you have a little mechanical apptitude it shouldn't be too tough. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Ignition switch...

Horn, rear defrost, glovebox light, wipers, also go out too. Things that need for the car to be "on" to work.

-Des

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,429 Posts
Do you use your fog lamps regularly?

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
thread resurrection- over a year:eek:

Anyhoo, there was something in the road tonight and I swerved to avoid it, still I ran over it. The fogs, turn signal and headlights are out- same symptoms as you, velvethologram13. I'll check the fuse and see what's up.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
If the horn, wipers, and HVAC are out too, then it's...

<ominous voice>phantom ignition switch!</ominous voice> ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
I didn't drive it at all yesterday b/c it was getting dark when it happened, but I drove it during the day today and after less than 15 minutes everything worked again.. I read somewhere that this happened to someone else and everything went back to normal the next day and he never had any problems with it after. I did check all the fuses a couple of times and i also checked the ones ontop of the battery just in case.. who knows.. I want to have it looked at anyway, the last thing I need is for my headlights to stop working in the middle of one of my overnight drives to my girlfriend's house.
Got up this morning (Friday) to start Cup and everything worked. On the way from work, turned on the lights just to see if everything was still working.... NOPE, out again. Checked out the fuses and all looks good. Tried the lights again and everything works again. I think there's a ghost in the machine:crazy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend's 03 is having a similar problem. The heater, wipers and turnsignals aren't working when the temp outside is cold. More things might not work, I will have to check that. Whenever she comes home, everything works, so I can't even attempt to trace the source of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
UPDATE:

Well after removing fuse #2, and it was fine, the lights, horn and wipers all work fine. Call it a Ghost in the Machine, I dunno. Maybe removing the fuse was kinda like resetting the breaker on a power strip...:lol:

·
Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
I am experiencing the same things on my bug. Once a week or once a month. Before I get some time to dive under the steering wheel and check what's going on, I found a instant temporary solution :) I would lover the steering wheel, slide it in and then slide it out and lift up :) or some other combination of moves that will bring everything back.
Good luck

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
bad ignition switches can cause intermitent failures one day and be fine the next. it takes them a while to completely die.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Ignition switch...

Horn, rear defrost, glovebox light, wipers, also go out too. Things that need for the car to be "on" to work.

-Des
If the horn, wipers, and HVAC are out too, then it's...

<ominous voice>phantom ignition switch!</ominous voice> ;)
bad ignition switches can cause intermitent failures one day and be fine the next. it takes them a while to completely die.
Sorry to sound stupid, but I just want to be certain. We are talking about the ignition switch.... you know the thing you put your key in right? If this is a yes, replacing the switch won't effect the keys programming will it?

·
Island Beetle in FL!
36 Posts
Headlights, A/C, Wipers, Turn Signal all out at the same time.

I know this thread is from last year but I hope someone found a solution. My poor ole self am to my wits end. I can not afford to go to the dealership with a new baby on the way and if this is something I ca fix on my own I have a better chance of affording it. I have a 1999 GLX 1.8L T. These all went out at the same time. I checked the fuses and they all ok. I did have a blown one under the hood. But here is the catch.... The came back on for a split second without that fuse in. And as a matter of fact I never put a fuse in its place. I have no clue what it was for either LOL!. It is the first one on the left in the box on the battery. Any fixes for this yet?:(

(Update)
Went outside after I posted n the middle of the night and played with the steering wheel and sure enough it started working for a min hen went back off. Does this mean that it is the ignition switch?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts