NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the 2000 Beetle control the amount of heat or letting the coolant flow thru the heater core? Does it have a heater control valve?

Car doesn't seem to be running hot.

This is the first time I can remeber have driven it in cold weather as it is my daughters car for college.
The cooling system has been apart before for the timing belt and water pump and for the plastic distribution piece on the other end of the engine. had a shop do both of these. Don't think they did the thermostat though.

I am really tired of fixing things on this. It is constant. I have it at home now because I just changed the neutral safety switch.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Is the air warm at all?

Could be a thermostat. Could be air in the system. I think if the blend door foam has disintegrated, it could cause poor heat as well.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There are a couple small diameter hoses that go from the end of the cylinder head near the flange (plastic distribution piece) to the throttle body and then from the throttle body to the top of the expansion tank. These need to be clear for air to escape the cooling system and allow coolant into the heater core. You can remove the hose from the top of the expansion tank and blow compressed air (no more than 15 psi) into it to make sure it is clear.

There is nothing that regulates the flow through the heater core. It should always have hot coolant in it. If the problem isn't the small hose and you do get coolant flow through the radiator, there are a couple other possibilities. The heater core could be plugged. If your car has green coolant in it that could do it. It doesn't react well with the pink VW coolant, which should be the only coolant used. The other is the water pump, which hopefully has been replaced along with the timing belt by now. The original water pumps used a plastic impeller which tended to disintegrate over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts