VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

The high/main beam on my car (its a 2007 1.6 Luna) has stopped working :(. Dipped beam works fine.
The turn signal/indicator stalk is moving ok and I can hear a relay clicking under the dash but the lights won't flash or come on permanently and the blue light on the dash doesn't illuminate The fuse is ok and I checked a bulb and that looked ok as well as did the wiring connector.

Any ideas please ? If the stalk was broken or dirty contacts then I don't think I would hear the relay clicking ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
My daughter had this issue, and it was the hi beam multi function stalk. However before i switched that out i would check the hi beam bulbs. There are two bulbs in each beetle head light, one for the low beam/DRL and one for the hi beam. On my daughters beetle they are the same kind of bulb just two of them. The hi beam is the bulb that is harder to get to.

Replacing the stalk.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
I had this issue recently; turns out, it was dirty contacts in the multifunction level/stalk switch. I sprayed some contact cleaner in the steering column area; where the switch contacts are, moved the lever in all its functional directions, kept repeating the spraying of the cleaner and eventually, it restored, my high beam functionality! This may or may not; be your problem but cleaner is cheap, cleaning takes a couple of minutes, easy to try.

03 VW Jetta clicking sound fix

Here in the states; I used this CRC electronic cleaner and it is "plastic safe", so it won't harm the column plastics. I'm sure there is; a equivalent cleaner, available in the uk?

CRC
11 oz. QD Electronic Cleaner
Part # 05103

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Sounds, just like how was recently; I could wiggle the lever and the high beam would intermittently work but if I stopped the giggling it, it wouldn't work. Did the clean and it came back; it took multiple cleaning cycles, moving the lever, in all the modes and then, it started working, as normal.

NOTE: This, is the SECOND time, I have seen this on a New Beetle and the videos on YouTube, obviously show; this is a issue on other VW Mark IV Golfs, Jettas, etc.

Be sure to report back with your fix; this can always be helpful, for the next person with the same issue. Thanks. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts