NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has power to door locks, radio, interior lights, car starts. Trying to look at electrical diagrams for common power or fuse. Any suggestions?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Ignition switch

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. It was the ignition switch or a short. A wire and some plastic is melted to one of the connectors. I've replaced the switch and will run it for a week with all the covers off. It will give me some time to clean the goo-scratches, repaint, then assemble.

Not happy with Haynes. Their manual says to remove top and bottom cover of the steering column, but to remove the bottom cover, one must remove the steering wheel. To remove the steering wheel, one must remove the instrument cluster. When I was unable and frustrated with releasing the spring clips to remove the airbag, I took off the steering column adjustment "pedal" and the bottom cover slipped right off. Grrrrr. Half-day wasted.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It is possible to remove the bottom cover without removing the steering wheel. The two screws that face the steering wheel can be removed by turning the steering wheel 90° each way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Swimbug - did you had to remove the steering or did the advice from red99 assist you.

My wifes car have the same problem and I will start with the reduction relay and then the ignition switch.

But I think the ignition switch is shot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town. The ignition switch has been replaced and all is well. I was able to remove the top and bottom column covers without removing the steering wheel. I broke the top cover, however, because I could not see the screws were #1 Phillips head, and therefore assumed there was no screw. Oops. While the plastic was off, I scrubbed the goo and repainted.

I hope you get yours running well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts