NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got t-boned yesterday on the highway totaling our R/T Maggie. An off duty officer (his personal car) tried to make it across the highway and we just happened to be in the blind spot on the A pillar of his car. Both cars were a total loss. My 3 yr old daughter is fine with no soreness. My wife is pretty sore. And I'm stuck in bed with a stabbing pain in my side and back when I move. So I am stuck in bed for my vacation that I was ON when we got hit. The B pillar was pushed in 12" and the side airbags did NOT go off!

Attachments

·
'Mary Jane' 08 Blue SE
34 Posts
I'm glad your family was safe. That was such a gorgeous car. Inferno red is my favorite color on it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are debating getting another one. But I haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price (all retail). I'm keeping my eye out. Also looking at seeing what the buyback price from the insurance co is.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
OMG Ric! Thank God you and your family are (relatively) OK! :eek:

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Glad you are all alive and for the most part alright. Although, no car would have faired any better given the situation. Side impacts are awful, BUT the beetle's air bags WOULD have gone off with that much impact... :( Such a beautiful car....so sad to see it so damaged.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went back to the ER last night due to horrible pain in my side when I breathe and move. Dr said it's because I tore alot of intercostal muscle between my ribs. Lemme tell ya...IT HURTS! Glad to know it's nothing serious though.

As far as the airbags not deploying, every crash is so completely different from the next, it's hard to tell what will set them off or not. I would have thought that an impact like that would have also broken the windows on that side of the car. But not one window broke except for the windshield. It cracked where the car started buckling in the center of the car and the"A" pillar on the drivers side.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just found out the guy who hit us was on duty in a County Sheriffs car. They are better insured I guess. Good to know everything will be covered.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
So, the officer was at fault? I fugured that, but you didn't mention.......good luck, and I hope you feel better soon! :balloons:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yes! Definitely his fault. He tried to make it across the highway (2 lane) in front of a truck heading east but didn't see us heading west, 65 mph zone. He was heading north from a stop sign he was at. I hope we all feel better soon too. Thank you:)

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Holy crap Ric! That sucks. :( Glad to see you guys are relatively ok. :) Good nothing serious from your pains too. How's the wife doing? You said she was more sore than you earlier. The claim should go pretty well I would think with it going through the Sheriff's department. Keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DO NOT go through Safeco for insurance! Our adjuster is pretty much making us do all the work for her. And dealing with the county as far as insurance goes (they are self insured) is a LOONG process. There is a 10 page packet to fill out and send in the mail and wait a week just to find out if they will approve a rental car. Apparently we didn't know we didn't have it on our insurance. Hind sight..........:eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Um...you pay her to do that work. You don't work for them. Get in touch with a regional manager. That may light the fire, and get your agent to remember who works for who! :mad:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We called the agent who sold us on Safeco, to switch back to progressive and they were gonna call Safeco and find out wussup! Been on the phone ALL day with insurance people....this was supposed to be my vacation. Just a warning to all you people, investigate your coverages again BEFORE you need them.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Wow that was a hard hit. Glad your ok. I must be having sympathy pains for you, I pulled my back yesterday morning. Can hardly walk this morning.

Hope you feel better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts