VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with me and don't flame me, I just want understanding. I retired this year and we are planning on traveling with our 5th. wheel camper. We have always wanted a convertible since we live 8 miles from ocean and we thought maybe small convertible and pull it behind camper has to be less than 3500 lbs. We chose VW beetle convertible. Tried one out last week that was suppose to be in excellent condition. Rode good but interior was falling apart door panels, cupholder rear of console was hanging out, switches broken etc...horrible. Checked on another tonight and door panels coming loose.
I'm used to Nissans. Had maximas, sentras, muranos and never had a problem with them mechanically or interior wise. I really thought that VW German engineering would be great. Seems there are a lot of problems with these things. Not sure what keeps you guys owning these high maintenance German marvels. I still like the little guys please tell me why I should continue looking for one. Great forum by the way, showed me a lot of problems that I didn't know existed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great. I forgot to mention that I bought new a 92 nissan pickup, plane jane and drove it 225,000 miles and the only thing I replaced was brakes occasionally, belts at plugs at 100,000 miles and that was it.
How is your interior holding up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks great for age and mileage. Maybe it is just a convertible thing, that the heat and sun destroys the interior.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
No, the heat and sun don't destroy interiors.

Neglectful owners do. :(

I owned a 2005 Tornado Red 1.8T, NBC, and it was an amazing car. I did lose it in the divorce, (he wouldn't give it up) but I got visitation until he sold it last year.... :cry:

Keep looking. You will find a well taken care of NBC. Stay away from the 2003, and early 2004.

I miss this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
No, the heat and sun don't destroy interiors.

Neglectful owners do. :(

I owned a 2005 Tornado Red 1.8T, NBC, and it was an amazing car. I did lose it in the divorce, (he wouldn't give it up) but I got visitation until he sold it last year.... :cry:

Keep looking. You will find a well taken care of NBC. Stay away from the 2003, and early 2004.

I miss this car.
Debbie is right. My car is over 15 years old, and has never been garaged. He has lived in the Texas sun all its life. 2011 we had over 100 days nonstop of 100 plus degree weather! HOT!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I'm with Deb also. So many people don't care about their cars. They buy a new one and trash it and then trade it. It will take a lot of searching but you'll eventually find one that hasn't been abused.

·
Registered
875 Posts
A little love goes along way :) i've seen beetles newer/older with less miles than my 2 (115,000 - 2006 & 118,000 - 2005) that are beat up :( some folks are very creative in their "repairs"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts