VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2001 Beetle for my daughter that has steering issues, is there any chance adding Power Steering fluid may help, or is it a lost cause and in need of replacement? If replacement, would it require both pump and rack or just a new pump?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
What exactly is going on? Is it just hard to steer? Is there noise from the pump when steering?

Have you checked the fluid level? Checked the serpentine belt?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No power steering so it is hard to steer. Belt looks new and it is not whining like most vehicles do when low. Checked and there is no fluid in the reservoir.

Just no steering assist right now.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
no fluid

No power steering so it is hard to steer. Belt looks new and it is not whining like most vehicles do when low. Checked and there is no fluid in the reservoir.

Just no steering assist right now.
NO fluid in the reservoir?? there's your smoking gun.
my first guess the pump went bad because of lack of fluid.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Was just going to say you need to use the CHF 11S fluid, not ATF.

If there is no fluid, then the is likely a leak so even adding fluid may not resolve the problem, just help identify it.

Many auto parts stores sell the CHF 11S, but you often have to ask for it because it is not usually kept on the shelf with other fluids.

If you cannot find CHF 11S at local auto parts stores, VW, BMW and most other European car dealers carry CHF 11S. Amazon also likely will carry it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a couple liters of that off Amazon and should arrive tomorrow. :)

Daughter came home from work last night and we replaced the air injection pump mounts and the air injector to Airbox hose. The other Airpump hose should be here tomorrow. One was broke and the other was punctured with a broken clip. :(

Her new rims and tires should arrive this week so she is soo close to driving it! (Currently has 2 different new and 2 almost bald tires on rims that have seen rough pot holes. )

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Unfortunately, those hoses break all the time; pretty much anything plastic, in the engine compartment gets brittle from the heat and becomes fragile.

It sounds like; your Beetle is coming together, post some pics, when you get a chance. Thanks. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fluid arrived so I poured some in, no leaks, so IO started it up and kept adding more. Still no leaks and power steering was back. Pulled out of the garage, turned the wheel back and forth a couple times from stop to stop. No leaks.

Took it for a spin and could smell fluid, pulled into the garage and have a puddle from the passengers side. :(

Still crossing my fingers that maybe it is a seal or something. but this dang thing is too low and even on my ramps I would have to have my head in the leak path to see. LOL

Figured I would give it an oil change since it was warmed up. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fluid arrived so I poured some in, no leaks, so IO started it up and kept adding more. Still no leaks and power steering was back. Pulled out of the garage, turned the wheel back and forth a couple times from stop to stop. No leaks.

Took it for a spin and could smell fluid, pulled into the garage and have a puddle from the passengers side. :(

Still crossing my fingers that maybe it is a seal or something. but this dang thing is too low and even on my ramps I would have to have my head in the leak path to see. LOL

Figured I would give it an oil change since it was warmed up. :)
What did the cause of the leak .turn out to be

1 - 11 of 11 Posts