NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no power at the connector for my 3rd brake light. The regular brake lights work fine. Is the 3rd light on this circuit or a different one? If different, does anyone know which? If it is the same circuit any ideas as to what is wrong? My assumption is that it is on same circuit as main brake lights, so perhaps there is a known problem that causes this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The wires for the 3rd light split off from the others after the switch so the problem must be in the wiring after the switch or grounding. Measure the resistance between the socket contacts and ground on the chassis. If one is not 0 then the problem is in the grounds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After which switch, the brake light switch or something else? would it be difficult or just a bad idea to tap into the power and ground to one of the taillights and run new wires to the 3rd brake light, bypassing the original wiring? Are the taillights and the 3rd brake light on the same fuse?

I appreciate your help.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The circuit for the brake lights goes: battery, fuse 13, brake light switch, split into 3 wires (all red/black) at the instrument panel, wires go to the 3 lights, all 3 lights have brown ground wires. The 3rd light has ground connections both in the rear lid and chassis on the left side of the luggage compartment.

Your idea of running the new wire would duplicate the existing circuit so there would be no problem if you want to go that way.

I would say the most likely source of your problems, assuming that all the other rear lights (brake and turn signal) work properly, is at the boot that the wiring runs through to the rear lid. Check for chafing of the wires near the boot. Look for damage to the red/black or brown wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts