NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I bought my new beetle 1.8t it seems like the power is not what it used to be. Used to be able to feel the boost when rpms went up but doesnt seem to be there. Any ideas?

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
also does it seem fast when its cold but if u drive it is kinda laggy????????

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Hmmm...are you running a boost gauge? If not, get one. That'll tell you if you're boosting first off. Try unplugging your MAF first (it's right next to your airbox), and if your car got its power back, it's a bad MAF. If it runs the same, that boost gauge is gonna tell you if it's in your turbo system.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
pilot-2 things i kept putting off for some time-boost gauge and vag com. after i got them i wodered how in the world i got by with out them.

I agree- check your maf-i had the same problem and had just 7000 miles on my nb. Your lucky, with milage you have on your 1.8t, not to have a maf problem before now.

·
502 Posts
i feel the same maf or a boost leak... cheack if and hoses are cracked and eplace if need be... and on the passenger side... take off the fender liner and u should see a pankace looking thingy.. wll behind it is a meatal part going up.. well undo i and see if teh o-ring is bad.. taht seems to be a problem alot of the time... and a boost gauge is mandatory in my book...

·
502 Posts
dude u can get them from anywhere. autozone,
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/
nopi.com
jegs.com
jcwhitney.com
all u need is a standard boost gauge... their liek 50 bucks all they way up 2 250 for like greddy. a i dont remember the site for pods. i know autometer makes one, so does burnt.

·
HepKitty from Hepcat City
29 Posts
pilot151 said:
would love any website suggestions on where to buy gauges and other upgrades

You could also score a nice boost guage from Ebay, I recommend buying a mechanical guage rather then electrical, the guages with the electrical sending units tend to be off, and in my case several psi high, the mechanical sending unit guages tend to be accurate.

I use a 30psi Autometer Lunar series guage:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Cheat said:
My boost gauge cost me $28 from eBay and is 99% accurate via VAG-COM. :)
I have a 2000 with MTM stage 3 mods. What version of VAG-COM do I need? I'm very interested in getting this, but am very new to the scene. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

·
502 Posts
just buy a cable off of ebay that says vag-com cable.. and tha works on vag com. then u just use shareware vag from ross-tech

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Your loss of power can be sumarized in 3 areas:

MAF gone the way of the Dodo, disconect it and if th ecar feels diferent ...Eureka..!!

You have a leak or a stuck diverter valve. (your boost is lower than expected)

If no light is coming up (cel or EPC asr or ABS etc) and the car is just slow all the time, maybe the wastegate actuator of the turbo is gone bad.

The best way to go is use vag com, and get a boost gauge....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts