VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 beetle convertible, 2.0 automatic with the tiptronic trans. I think it's an 09G, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Replaced valve body with a new unit, someone had been in there previously, there was a couple odd bolts, but they seemed long enough and worked.

Problem I'm having is the car will not go into reverse unless the TcM is unplugged, or the larger plug on the front of the transmission. (See pic one on the right) I tried a different tcm with no luck.

Could it be that the wiring for the valve body is bad or hooked up wrong? I ran it how it came off the old one, but I suspect that they might have not done it correctly previously by the way it all looked.

Only code it's throwing is a tiptronic switch code which from what I read won't cause this issue. But I want to look into fixing that as well, as I already have the center console out.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It sounds like maybe there is a wiring problem. The 09G has a LOT of wires and they can easily get mixed up. You can even have loose connectors or connectors that are not fully seated. But if the wires are mixed up, then you may not get any specific solenoid error codes because the TCM sees the solenoid as connected.

Usually when a solenoid wire is not connected or loose you should get a trouble code and the shift indicator should have brackets [] around each letter/number on the shift display.

You might check this document out - http://vwts.ru/vw_doc2/trans/09g/atsg_09g_09m_eng.pdf

Possibly even a problem with the magnet for the shifter as well? These can come loose, they usually cause Tiptronic problems, but it may be possible a loose magnet can cause other problems.

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up being the wiring, swapped it out and all is fine. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts