VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've read and read and read as much as I can. 3 weeks ago my daughter's 2002 NB was having start issues. We finally replaced the battery and there's been no issue for 3 weeks. She goes to leave this morning for school...no start. My hubby has been having her turn her stereo off and pull the emergency brake. I am thinking she didn't shut the stereo off yesterday when she got home. It's an after-market Sony.

The car does have the Monsoon amp. We've only had the car about 2 months so we're not sure if the stereo was properly installed or not. I did read somewhere that if the amp feels hot that its likely constantly on. Is the best course of action to just attach a relay as some have suggested or something else? The amp was hot to the touch and just as reference I touched the disc changer (which is not hooked up)..it is warm here today but since they are both pretty close together and one is cool and one is hot. I guess that answers the question as to whether or not the amp is running all the time.

We suspected the starter but after reading everything about this darn amp. It's my current best guess as to why the battery has been drained.

Any advice or pointers I haven't read yet would be greatly appreciated!

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Yes I believe the relay approach is the best fix. Search the Audio section for a post on a 2002 NB w/monsoon that did a relay how to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
here is the youtube video I used. For the remote turn on for the relay I did not run a cable from the stereo, I tapped into the cd changer harness and used the switched 12v wire that is thicker than the rest and red in color. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got this issue resolved and yes the relay/harness was the easiest way to go! That after we had to do a little work on the previous owner's horrible stereo install. But drove it last night, used the stereo, amp was warm...let it sit about an hour and a half and it was cold! No battery drain overnight, started right up. Daughter is happy she once again has music and no more starting issues!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts