NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my daughter a 2000 Beetle over the summer. Granted, it has a lot of little issues that can be resolved. I feel that it's a great car, it's just been neglected for so long. Over the summer it would start just fine and in fact has a tremendous amount of power and ran great. However, once it started turning cold (in the 50's and dropping) it doesn't want to start. Once it does start, it runs great, no hesitation, smooth idle and tons of power. This morning it got down to 29 and she just will not start. I had to take an Uber to work. Can someone give me some ideas of what to try? The check engine light was on and Oreilly's said there were multiple misfire codes. I also believe that there was also MAF sensor and fuel pressure codes.

It's a 2000 Beetle 2.0 automatic

Thank you so much.
I am sure I will post more questions as I tackle each individual issue.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I would get the code numbers and report back on what they are. Also, get the charging system checked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, here we go p0172, p0102, p1255, p1221 and p1222. The battery is fin, the car cranks but doesn’t fire. It almost started twice but by then the battery did start getting weaker. Once I get this issue resolved I’ll have the charging system checked.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
17663/P1255 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit (G62): Short to Ground

A failed coolant temp sensor; has been known, to cause these issues: hard/no start problem, rich condition, misfires, rough idle and hesitation, until up to normal operating temperature. Then, when warmed up; the engine will run fine and the symptoms will go away. A new coolant temp sensor; doesn't cost much and so, you might give that a try.

how the temp sensors fail:

there are a number of good diy videos; on how to replace the sensor here:

So, you have definitions for the trouble codes you got and possibly, a coolant temp sensor, might help with your hard start issues and rich code. Let us know, how your repairs and troubleshooting goes, moving forward and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First page of the Ross-tech fault code page. When ever you have a fault this is where you go to find out possible solutions.

I’ll leave the last two for you so you get the hang of navigating their site.

OOOOOHHH, that is a nice web-site. I'll bookmark that at work. I sell parts at a Chrysler dealer and I get calls all the time asking what a certain code is.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Keep in mind that they are primarily geared to VW's, but yeah they have a great site that lays out the codes quite nicely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unbelievable. It was the coolant temp sensor. Took me less than 5 minutes to change without tools even. It started the first time. In a million years I would never have thought that a bad coolant sensor would keep a car from starting.

Thank you to everyone who replied. This is the best forum I have ever used.

Now to figure out why the ac doesn’t kick on, what the loud clunk from the rear end is, how to install new speakers, fix the headliner, fix the door panels.....LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts