1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
Is anyone really surprised by this? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Just saw this, even though this is a month old... Oh well. Anyway, I'd simply like VW to build its own van instead of slapping a VW emblem on a Chrysler Town & Country. At the same time, I can sort of see where they're coming from by not putting the Bulli into production. Sure, it would be cool, but the minivan market is oversaturated as it is and this was more like a micro-mini-van. That worked in the 60s, but very few would sell today. Truth be told, I never understood why the Eurovan was killed.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saw this, even though this is a month old... Oh well. Anyway, I'd simply like VW to build its own van instead of slapping a VW emblem on a Chrysler Town & Country. At the same time, I can sort of see where they're coming from by not putting the Bulli into production. Sure, it would be cool, but the minivan market is oversaturated as it is and this was more like a micro-mini-van. That worked in the 60s, but very few would sell today. Truth be told, I never understood why the Eurovan was killed.
The eurovan was heavy and complete pain to work on. Honestly I think they may have killed it to help with fuel standards, since it is by fleet averages, but just a guess. The worst to work on was those Rialta campers, total nightmare.

We actually own the Routan, which I call the dodgewagen. The reason why I purchased it was because previous experience with the dodge v6 that was positive.

My opinion is that a micro-bus, not the Bulli, would be pretty successful. The Bulli was okay, but not true to the V-dub like the NB was. I worked at Volkswagen dealers from 1997-2004 and can honestly say I think it would fit well with the customer culture, even more so now.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I never owned a Rialta camper or a Eurovan, for that matter, but I thought those campers were very cool. If VW is going to stick with the Routan as its van, someone in the US needs to offer a camper conversion. Either that, or offer something like a Toureag or Tiguan-based camper or pickup truck version that would take a topper. There's a company somewhere in Quebec that turns Routans into campers, but that's it, as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never owned a Rialta camper or a Eurovan, for that matter, but I thought those campers were very cool. If VW is going to stick with the Routan as its van, someone in the US needs to offer a camper conversion. Either that, or offer something like a Toureag or Tiguan-based camper or pickup truck version that would take a topper. There's a company somewhere in Quebec that turns Routans into campers, but that's it, as far as I know.
I was picking up some G12 the other day at the dealer and they had a Routan in there with a tent hooked to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,046 Posts
The Eurovan is only dead in the US. They still sell it in Europe and such, its just called the Transporter. They even sell them in a diesel. Sad we don't just get those here rather than selling out and rebadging a Chrysler. And its not the engine that's the problem so much as the trans. We drove a Dodge Grand Caravan a month ago and the trans was absolutely awful.

I like old skool stuff though. My FIL has 2 vanagons, one being a poptop camper. Great car. The Eurovan problem was that most of them came with an auto and the tiny engine bay made the vr6 a PITA to work on ('93 was the only year for a manual trans iirc). The auto crapped out all the time. It just wasn't a great car for vw.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Eurovan is only dead in the US. They still sell it in Europe and such, its just called the Transporter. They even sell them in a diesel. Sad we don't just get those here rather than selling out and rebadging a Chrysler. And its not the engine that's the problem so much as the trans. We drove a Dodge Grand Caravan a month ago and the trans was absolutely awful.

I like old skool stuff though. My FIL has 2 vanagons, one being a poptop camper. Great car. The Eurovan problem was that most of them came with an auto and the tiny engine bay made the vr6 a PITA to work on ('93 was the only year for a manual trans iirc). The auto crapped out all the time. It just wasn't a great car for vw.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
When I worked at the dealer, if someone got a Eurovan to work on everyone would ask what you did wrong or why you were getting screwed. I actually liked driving the MV models but they had the trams problems like smiley said.

They also have a van in Europe called a sharan.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/12/review-2012-volkswagen-sharan-tdi-bluemotion-euro-spec/

I wish vw would think outside the box for the our market and bring some of these over. I always hoped they would bring the Polo over. But I am not in marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts