VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having yet another problem with my girlfriend's beetle. I put a new MAF on and it will not go wide open. It just stumbles. And it has a misfire at idle. I put the old one back on and it did the same thing until I unplugged it. Replaced the new one and left it unplugged and the thing ran fine. O2 sensor? Vac leak? It was throwing p0172 and p1128 before the MAF install. I hate this car.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16556/P0172/000370 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17536/P1128/004392 - Ross-Tech Wiki

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

Based upon the above codes; there are a bunch of possibilities. With live data; I would want to see what the fuel trims are and how the 02 sensors, are working.

I would start with cleaning the throttle body and aligning it and also checking the fuel pressure is in spec. It would be nice to rule those two out and then you could go from there. What year, model, engine and transmission, is the car? What scan tool are you using?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billymade. I thought I had correctly diagnosed just a MAF but apparently there is another issue. Probably is the O2 sensor, but I've never personally seen a bad one cause a miss

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
What brand of MAF did you get? Sounds like its still MAF related since it works better with it unplugged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts