NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a suggestion, but i don't think anyone looks in the Hobbies or For The Love Of VW sections. There's some good stuff going on in there, but you can never tell if there are fresh topics from the main forum page. Is there a way to notify people of new posts there? The regular areas have the little green light to let you know of new posts. There's nothing for those sections unless you go into the section for that type of discussion. Am i making sense?

Is this a good suggestion?

Is this just me being whiny and wanting my posts read? Yeah. I worked very hard posting my latest newbeetle.org cookbook recipe. I want to share.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I look at those sections, but they don't show up unless I click on the forum, then the sub forums show. I don't know why. So, in a way, they are invisible to me. However, I do check in on them.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right...from the main forums page it doesn't show up with the little green light/thumbtack thingy unless you go under community.

I check them as well, but then, i post in them so i would.

Perhaps throw a flag for new available posts on the main forums page?

john

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
noR said:
It's something we did to limit how long that main forum page is. I'm not sure if we can add the light to it or not, I believe that'd be a template change that Jeff will have to look into.
Not easily. The nature of vB says that, on the front page, forums with subforums show up without the indicator of new posts (whereas forums without subforums show up with the new post indicator). I think it'd take more than just changing templates to change that behavior, because you'd have to actually add a function that said "if i'm displaying the category Hobby, then check Photography, Cookiing, etc. for new posts and show the indicator." That concept doesn't exist in vB, so you'd have to add it. The only one that exists is "If there are new posts in THIS forum, then show the indicator."

What I'm getting at is that making this change probably would require changing low-enough level code that I'd be unwilling to do it (as it is exactly these kinds of changed that messed up our installation of vBulletin on the old forums, and I don't want the new one getting messed up). :)

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
noR said:
Yep yep. Aiight. :( I was hopin' they'd have SOME kinda "any subforums of this have updated?" type function.

bummer
Well, I should check to be certain, but I'm pretty sure they don't.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jdesigns said:
I figured that is what everyone does, just click the "New Posts" button. :p How else do you find the new posts? :confused:
I'm slightly retarded i think. I just go to the main forum page and look for green lights, if none, come back later.

I'll have to find a new approach.:)

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
FineExampl said:
I'm slightly retarded i think. I just go to the main forum page and look for green lights, if none, come back later.

I'll have to find a new approach.:)
And this explains why so many people talk about the photo's on the homepage, as I leave my computer running 24/7, and just click on the New Posts. So, unless I restart my browser, I don't even see the homepage. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts